The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Obama Vacation Yet

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Just obscene. Wonder what it would cost if he left the women at home and instead was going for some real state purpose? If he were going for some kind of high level meeting, it might be worth what it would cost, but for a sight seeing trip, just totally obscene. I also wonder how much of that is additional expense over what we pay on a daily basis for the presidency (protection, etc.) You can't really include the SS salaries for instance, just stuff like their lodging, fuel, and the stuff we aren't paying every day to begin with. If they are counting moving an aircraft carrier and all its support craft, 100 million hardly seems enough.
    If it was ten million, it would be too damn much. Go to Camp David and do some skeet shooting.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    If it was ten million, it would be too damn much. Go to Camp David and do some skeet shooting.
    I absolutely agree. I don't have the time or really the inclination to research it, but did GW take many high dollar vacations with the family? Seems to me that he mostly was satisfied to come home to Texas and fire up the chain saw and clear some brush (a mind clearing exercise if there ever was one).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    I absolutely agree. I don't have the time or really the inclination to research it, but did GW take many high dollar vacations with the family? Seems to me that he mostly was satisfied to come home to Texas and fire up the chain saw and clear some brush (a mind clearing exercise if there ever was one).
    The major difference is that GW had an antagonistic press... Obama has a press corpse (pun intended) that serves as his PR machine.
    Bill Davis

While Obama has been in Africa, so have the Bushes. Since President's get Secret Service protection, that's probably costing us some $ ... but the Bushes are there to help re-hab a clinic in Tanzania. In T-shirts and jeans they are helping US student volunteers in the work being done on the clinic. It's part of their foundation's efforts to battle cervical and ovarian cancer in Tanzania.

For all the mistakes we can chalk up to GW, he is probably generating more good will in Africa on his working vacation than the Obamas are. He and Lara seem almost more comfortable with the "real" people than they were in the political melee. Although Lara seems to have the ability to be gracious in any environment. GW deserves some credit for the good judgment to pick Lara as his wife
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I was all in favor of the Obama family taking a 100 million dollar trip to Africa...until I heard they were coming back.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Uncle Bill you owe me a new keyboard

Yes I'm sure Mrs Obama spread tons of goodwill when she described living in the White House as being in a really nice prison--to an audience in Tanzania where most of the people live in hovels made of dung. Heard that on the radio today and thought surely it must be a joke making fun of them but, she really did say it. I am speechless... Here's what I found when I googled it: 9 Most Arrogant Quotes of the Obamas.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    While Obama has been in Africa, so have the Bushes. Since President's get Secret Service protection, that's probably costing us some $ ... but the Bushes are there to help re-hab a clinic in Tanzania. In T-shirts and jeans they are helping US student volunteers in the work being done on the clinic. It's part of their foundation's efforts to battle cervical and ovarian cancer in Tanzania.

For all the mistakes we can chalk up to GW, he is probably generating more good will in Africa on his working vacation than the Obamas are. He and Lara seem almost more comfortable with the "real" people than they were in the political melee. Although Lara seems to have the ability to be gracious in any environment. GW deserves some credit for the good judgment to pick Lara as his wife
    During GWs secord term Laura took five vacations to Afirica on the tax payers time, yet again she feels entitled to waste millions more of the tax payers money, what a load of garbage about the good such a leach in imposing on us yet again. Same goes for Michelle, Hillary, Nancy..., not much different than any other trailer trash living on the tax payers dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Yes I'm sure Mrs Obama spread tons of goodwill when she described living in the White House as being in a really nice prison--to an audience in Tanzania where most of the people live in hovels made of dung. Heard that on the radio today and thought surely it must be a joke making fun of them but, she really did say it. I am speechless... Here's what I found when I googled it: 9 Most Arrogant Quotes of the Obamas.
    I bet at this point even some of their former supporters would give a thumbs up for early parole.
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    During GWs secord term Laura took five vacations to Afirica on the tax payers time, yet again she feels entitled to waste millions more of the tax payers money, what a load of garbage about the good such a leach in imposing on us yet again. Same goes for Michelle, Hillary, Nancy..., not much different than any other trailer trash living on the tax payers dime.
    I'd be willing to bet that all five of Lara's vacations didn't come close to costing what this one Obama vacation has cost.

The work of the Bushes for AIDS in Africa has made them a heroes there, regardless of what we think of GW's political career here. Their most recent trip was not one of luxury.

Even those who intensely disliked GW and his policies have praised his legacy in Africa.

Dallas News:
    The debate over a president’s legacy lasts many years longer than his term of office. At home, there’s still no consensus about the 2001-09 record of George W. Bush, with its wars and economic turmoil.
    In Africa, he’s a hero.
    “No American president has done more for Africa,” said Festus Mogae, who served as president of Botswana from 1998 to 2008. “It’s not only me saying that. All of my colleagues agree.”
    AIDS was an inferno burning through sub-Saharan Africa. The American people, led by Bush, checked that fire and saved millions of lives.
    NBC
    Before PEPFAR, an estimated 100,000 people were on anti-retroviral drugs in sub-Saharan Africa. By the time Bush left office in 2008 that number had increased to about 2 million.
    In 2005 Bush started a $1.2 billion initiative to fight malaria. He defended the request for funding in 2007, saying, “There’s no reason for little babies to be dying of mosquito bites around the world.”

At Thursday’s ceremony, President Clinton said in his travels throughout Africa he had “personally seen the faces of some of the millions of people who are alive today” because of Bush’s policies.

Even some of Bush’s most ardent critics have admitted that his foreign policy legacy on Africa continues to have a lasting effect.

U2 front-man and activist Bono, who criticized Bush on the Iraq War, nonetheless expressed his admiration for the Republican president on an appearance on the Daily Show last year, telling Stewart that Bush did an “amazing” job in the fight against the spread of HIV/AIDS in Africa.

“I know that’s hard for you to accept,” Bono said to a surprised crowd and host, “but George kind of knocked it out of the park. I can tell you, and I’m actually here to tell you that America now has 5 million people being kept alive by these drugs. That’s something that everyone should know.”

Since leaving office the former president and his wife, Laura, have continued to stay active in global health issues in Africa, now taking on cancer. The George W. Bush Institute has launched the Pink Ribbon Red Ribbon initiative to try and bring together both public and private investment to fight cervical and breast cancer in Africa and Latin America. The couple launched the program on a visit to Zambia and Bostwana in July of last year.
    From the NY times
    Teaming up with the United Nations, Pepfar, the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation and various pharmaceutical companies, he helped form the Pink Ribbon Red Ribbon program to focus on fighting cervical cancer in Zambia in 2011. The program expanded to Botswana in 2012 and this week to Tanzania. In a paint-splattered shirt, he helped finish the renovation of a clinic in Livingstone, Zambia.
    Washington Post (July 2012)
    This is an amazing accomplishment, especially because it wasn’t supposed to be possible.
    Before PEPFAR, the conventional wisdom was that the drug-treatment regimens that were saving lives in developed countries would not work in Africa. Poor, uneducated people in communities lacking even the most basic infrastructure could not be expected to take the right pill at the right time every day. When the drugs are taken haphazardly, the virus mutates and becomes resistant. Therefore, this reasoning went, trying to administer antiretroviral treatment in poor African countries might actually be worse than doing nothing at all.
    The Bush administration rejected these arguments, which turned out to be categorically wrong.

Rhetoric is easy. Making a real difference is not so easy. These good works have likely done more for how the US is perceived in Africa than the many more billions spent on "generic" foreign aid.
    Last edited by Gerry Clinchy; 07-03-2013 at 09:15 PM.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.