The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homemade Dog Box

I'm going to pick up some flooring from TSC to lay down. I know I wouldn't want to lay on plywood.

KeMe look at the floating woodwork on my banner at bottom of page.

That is western red cedar topped with glass cloth, then coated with crystal clear epOxy , followed by spar urathane.

Very little maintenance once finished.

canoe sits in water, get. Sand and mud all over it, crashes into rocks, caustic fish guts from the electric plant holding pond, Perth durable,

for his dog box, no glass cloth really needed, just get epoxy good and warm, mix, and spread with a squee gee .The top with spar urathane.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Like MooseGooser said, if you use epoxy be sure to topcoat with spar urethane, that is your UV protection for the epoxy. Built 2 cedar strip canoes myself

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Craftey devel good job as long as dogs are safe all is well

I think the nickname for your box should be "The Ark"! Looks great!

Min 2 inches of ridgid foam ins on roof. Not a fan of the vents, too light gauge and sharp. Would line the boxes with barn liner and silicon the joints.. ( very thin but white and easy to clean. Use it in milk rooms and freezers )
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Looks pretty good to me. Retriever folks sometimes seem to place a high value on the appearance of their stuff vs the function. That would be a palace for alot of houndsmen I know. What is that sticker on your truck, are you a fraternity man?

I used a box like that for years. My brother Philip built the box and I decided that we needed to put a thin skin of sheet aluminum on the outside and paint the inside. We glued the aluminum like you would formica. I then screwed 1" aluminum angle iron along all corners. Then added two round aluminum butterfly vents to each side and back. I found some Crow River vents to put on 1/8" aluminum doors.
    Phil then had the great idea to hook up a $30 marine blower(reversed) on the top/back to pull the hot air out and keep air flow moving. We then bought a chrome marine vent cap for looks. Box was sweet. Looked like an expensive aluminum box.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!