The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Dog Box

I think over all nice, sealed and painted more nicer.
    I think in hindsight you will have wished you put the door hinges on the center post and the latches on the outside.
    and if you take an inch hole drill and make a hole in the outside back corner of the floor it will be easier to hose the poop out.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

That's a real good idea I might just do that. And it's never to late to change the hinges. First coat of stain is on right now.

Good job. Looks like it will do what you need it to do.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

I would seal the inside with epoxy resin (fiberglass resin) so no water will soak in. Painting the outside with something similar will hold up better than stain. The top takes most of the heat, water, and UV. You could laminate white FRP to the top, or the entire thing, so it holds up better and looks really clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris2713 View Post
    They are covered with 2x4s on the inside. I just to keep as little edges and such on the insides
    I think flush vents would be better and safer. The dogs bang around in a box on bumpy roads. I would want the inside smooth, without anything projecting into the space.

Swap out the wood doors with something more secure that can resist thieves, animal rights crazies, and chewing dogs. Doors from a wire crate or plastic kennel might work.

Here's my thought/opinion, and it is worth exactly what you paid for it.

I don't think the doors are secure enough.

My dogs would chew through the flimsy vents,yours probably will too.

To properly seal that beast with fiberglass resin would be very expensive.

You said "we" built the box... I would suggest getting more beer and getting the other half of "we" drunk and selling him the box. Seriously though, you could have taken the $250 for the materials and the money spent on the beer and possibly purchased a used Owens 2 hole aluminum box.

As long as you don't leave your dogs unattended in the box for any extended period, I'm sure that the box will serve you well.

FYI
    This wealth of knowledge, options and advice is being spewed from a redneck who has owned/built several wooden dog boxes over the years.

Lonnie
    Last edited by Lonnie Spann; 06-16-2013 at 05:24 AM.
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

All the experts! Most prolly dont know the difference between a hammer and a screwdriver

I think it looks great!... It will be usefull and do its job...

Epoxie really would'nt be THAT expensive..considering the durability..

West Systems brand comes to mind, and its something very handy to have around the house anyways..

Again it will serve its purpose.... Ever notice how many dog boxes are for sale in the classifieds???

You get tired of yours and want to move on,,, you wont have to feel the need to re coup money... Just build another...

Good Job,,,, my thinking friend..

Gooser

P.S.

My dogs, and my guns, go into the motel room with me when I travel.
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 06-16-2013 at 08:12 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Looks good. Like other have said waterproof it as best you can. Wet dogs and wood on a hot day will make it a sauna.. Maybe that garage floor epoxy or roll on Bed liner would work.
    HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "Koda"
    SHR Duncan's Haulin a Limit "Limit"
    Bourbon Bay's Other Woman "Jolene"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Duncan View Post
    Looks good. Like other have said waterproof it as best you can. Wet dogs and wood on a hot day will make it a sauna.. Maybe that garage floor epoxy or roll on Bed liner would work.
    and chunk of the tuff cattle mat cows lay on from the farm store. keeps the dogs up off the wood. wet wood is slick and the slop round like pinballs without it. that and like I said drain holes for barf and poo. Gooser, in your woodworking knowledge, what if the feller used B.I.N. Primer inside and out. it is super white and made for soggy bathrooms.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin