• we all shair it.

9 13.43%
  • what is it?

2 2.99%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Owns the Line?

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    I don't know that you "own" it. You can use it with permission while you're there.
    I like that. The judges determine the line, who gets to return to it and where pup and handler reside in relation to it. To add to Ken's excellent post I'd add the "interminable mark and lining setup" while the poor honor dog is ready to blow up 'cause he knows more birds are about to be thrown and every few seconds the working team takes just amps him up even more. A little consideration regards,

Larry Housman and John Lash have described it perfectly.

There are many things that I see in tests/trials that are very parallel to the competitive calling circuit.

In the calling circuit, folks used to say "You paid your entry fee. That 90 seconds is yours to do as you please." However, all knew that if you performed too far off the expected norms you ran the risk of standing out in a less than positive manner when it came to the judges' evaluations.

I think that regardless of the retriever venue we play, we should seek to demonstrate "excellence" to the judges. By working to put on the best quality performance you can, while not "standing out" too much for extremes that don't necessarily highlight excellence, you optimize your chance of positive evaluation and scores from judges.

I think it is possible for a handler to take "too much time" at the line. In some cases, this standing out may not necessarily give the most favorable evaluation by the judges. The bigger the entry, and the more dogs the judges need to get through in the series, the less "tolerant" judges may be of a handler taking "too much time". The logic being that if every handler took one minute per dog, in a 90 dog series, that is an hour and a half of time.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

The judges own it up until the point they call dog, when they cede the line to the handler. The judges take back the line when the say "dog is excused" or the dog completes the test.

T. Mac

4. Each handler will be given a reasonable amount of time to review the test. If they have not called for
    the bird the judges will say "time" and then call for the birds themselves.
    Weeeeeell, How about I own it until the judges say, "Time."
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Rope is a line? right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU4QiwOBJ_c

Kind of how I feel sometimes

As a judge I believe I own the line. I have responsibilities to allow you to use it, but at the end of the day it is still the judges. The judge is the Owner, the handler merely rents, as long as he abides by the judges rules he can stay for a while.
    Some people dream of success, while others wake up and work hard for it.

"Five in the hole is better then 250 circling overhead." - Jase Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    HaHa! Good analogy...
    bill,
    the analogy is good..........but for the fact that in alabama it usually takes me a trip to the courthouse, filling out the requisite forms, a $400 filing fee, ~30 days to get on the district court docket, the encumberance of the required court apparance and waiting another week for a couple of deputies to show up.........to get rid of the squatters "on one of my lines". moderators please do not move to potus!
    john mccallie

Ken
    You forgot about the gunners. I shut the line down this weekend due to safety concern when a JH test moved and the handlers parked down range of the shot flier for the MH test in progress.

I believe that this calls for an experiment. We need a volunteer fo rthis. Maybe one of the National Contestants.

Here is how it goes: Handler and dog walk to the line. Handler picks up the mat and moves it 3 feet forward and two feet to the left.

I believe that the ownership of the mat will become immediately apparent.

Please report back.

I understand the judges own the line and I just rent it ,but when it's my turn to rent it...as the pro I train with told me ,it's your $75 entry fee ,take your time and and get your moneys worth.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "