• we all shair it.

9 13.43%
  • what is it?

2 2.99%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Owns the Line?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Larry Housman and John Lash have described it perfectly.

There are many things that I see in tests/trials that are very parallel to the competitive calling circuit.

In the calling circuit, folks used to say "You paid your entry fee. That 90 seconds is yours to do as you please." However, all knew that if you performed too far off the expected norms you ran the risk of standing out in a less than positive manner when it came to the judges' evaluations.

I think that regardless of the retriever venue we play, we should seek to demonstrate "excellence" to the judges. By working to put on the best quality performance you can, while not "standing out" too much for extremes that don't necessarily highlight excellence, you optimize your chance of positive evaluation and scores from judges.

I think it is possible for a handler to take "too much time" at the line. In some cases, this standing out may not necessarily give the most favorable evaluation by the judges. The bigger the entry, and the more dogs the judges need to get through in the series, the less "tolerant" judges may be of a handler taking "too much time". The logic being that if every handler took one minute per dog, in a 90 dog series, that is an hour and a half of time.

Chris
    In my opinion, the number 1 reason for handlers taking too much time at the line of a FT before signalling they are ready for the birds to be thrown is the failure of the judges to adhere to what is found on pg. 28, number 8 of the rules;

"On marked retrieves, a dog should be able to see each bird in the AIR AND AS IT FALLS (emphasis mine), and the guns shall be so stationed as to be CONPICUOUS TO AND EASILY IDENTIFIED by the dog (emphasis mine).-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    Not but one dog on the line at a time - you own it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Pretty much the way I see it when it's my turn.
    Seems to me that while this may not be the "correct" answer, but it seems to be a reasonbly successful winning attitude???
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

I once told my boss in an annual review that "I owned" the lab and my job. Apparently Jews do not appreciate someone "owning" something in the philosophical way when they own it physically. Not intended to be antiemetic just stereotypical.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Who Owns the Line?
    I have long thought, typed here and told to the fresh faces. “You Own The Line.” As they are so rushed and sometimes overwhelmed by the people in the field and the judges and the marshal and the people taking and drying ducks and the rest waiting a turn. So much like a 5 year old at the county fair. They feel rushed. They do not take the time the dog needs. And so I counsel them to slow down. That for those next few minutes all those people are in the spot that they are in and doing the task given, for you. Paid for by your entry fee up front and by the unwritten trust that you will be standing in the mud tossing a very dead bird for them ether later that same day or at your clubs next event if you are visiting. The line is yours. “You Own The Line”.
    However.
    In conversations with Judges about handler infractions or perceived infractions you will often hear “I don’t allow that at my test”. Or when setting up the mechanics of a test the coming and going of the working dog and how the judges will position themselves you also will hear “I never set up my running line that way”
    It is clear the judges set up the test. It is as so many Monday Morning RTF Bus rides have shown us, It is the Judges Test, they own in. “The Judges Own The Line and you come and go at the pleasure of the Judges.”
    And Then.
    Everything goes a fowl on the honor.
    The Honor dog and handler paid the same as you. They are under judgment same as you.
    The were, up to just a moment ago when you stepped out of the last holding blind owning the line. And now here you come. Like walking a dog into a stranger’s house. Actually if we treated it like walking into a strangers house with a dog a lot of line issues and angst would be avoided. It miffs me when Molly Minivan strolls up chasing rainbows allowing Ol’ Fluffy to floss with drying rack birds and sniff honor dog butts on the way to the mat and is then oblivious to any infraction. But lets not digress. Stay on point Ken!
    So is the test with an honor the most clucked up timeshare possible? “The Honor Dog Own the Line?”
    And still more.
    The event committee owns the line. When handlers complain about a judge’s set up. When Judges complain about given grounds. When farmers complain about a kid trying to rake hay next to a live bird station (I kid you not, jackweasle tried to do some haying up against our test!) Who Ya Gonna Call? The Event committee. When all is said and done and the Monday morning bus is serviced and parked for the next trip. “It is the Event Committee that owns the line.”

Your thoughts?
    Hmmm! ? Ask this one if you can?...I can't! She is 1 year old.
    own the line.jpg
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

I would say the handler that sweeps all 4 places pwns the line......

leet speak regards
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

I would say It's about the dog!

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    I would say It's about the dog!
    At the higher levels on this side, it's not only about the dog, the jockey matters too.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    I......leet speak regards

Dang! John plays video games?
    and for the newbs, back when we would debate freely,
    with passion, Mr. Fallon pwned many an adversary!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    At the higher levels on this side, it's not only about the dog, the jockey matters too.
    I understand that Howard and agree. It's the same over here. My belief however is it should be the best dog in a dog competition or the shooting field.
    A recent post on here regarding Secretariat got all patriotic!..was that not all about the horse?
    Just a thought.

I own it. Paid my money and it's mine for as long as I need it. Honor dog had the same privilege and I'll do all I can to help that dog but in the end I'm there for th edog I have a the line at the time.