The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the best training seminar you ever attended? Why?

Default What was the best training seminar you ever attended? Why?

Please Share

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Rick Stawski's train your fowl dawg

It was a very hands on seminar where he took the attendees and there dogs to help work through problems. He help the handlers by showing us what our dogs are doing and what we were doing. He took the good points and the bad points to show us how they effect the dogs. Most of us learned from watching others go through the steps as well as being in front of the group to be the example.

I can't answer this as at different times in my retriever training career I've needed different things.

The first one I attended was a Woody Thurman seminar. That was the best as it got me thinking of training and gave me a step by step procedure to follow.

Last winter I attended the Rorem handling workshop. Damn, that was the best too. I got pounded on (figuratively) for things I didn't know I was doing and for things I wasn't doing. I think I got an attaboy once.

At different stages of our retriever career we're ready for something else. We need to know what we're ready for and what we can make use of.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N
    I can't answer this as at different times in my retriever training career I've needed different things.

The first one I attended was a Woody Thurman seminar. That was the best as it got me thinking of training and gave me a step by step procedure to follow.

Last winter I attended the Rorem handling workshop. Damn, that was the best too. I got pounded on (figuratively) for things I didn't know I was doing and for things I wasn't doing. I think I got an attaboy once.

At different stages of our retriever career we're ready for something else. We need to know what we're ready for and what we can make use of.
    Howard,
    I remember that Woody Thurman seminar up off of the road that had the sod farm(s)....man, I remember Mike Black with Spook using him as the demo dog.

Hey, hope you are doing well and congrats on all the success that you are having with your dogs, you deserve it....

Still missing the good ole days in AK, training dogs, fishing and hunting regards....

Greg
    Greg Floyd

GMHR/MHR/WR Conan of Texas (Conan) (Feb 1992 - June 2005)
    WR/SR Rippin Ruby of Mt. IDAK (Ruby) (June 1993 - January 2010)
    SR Conan's Mighty Titan of Texas (Titan)
    High Altitude's Rippin Roxanne (Roxie)
    Crazy Ms Daizy of Bear Creek (Daisy)
    P4P's Sure Shot Remington (Remi)

Meanwhile back at the ranch.......

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

I also enjoyed Rick Stawski's seminar. I was only there for one day and learned so much! We saw real dogs doing the work and had plenty of hands on time. The food was also awesome, good thing I was only there for one day.
    Mike Peters

I have been to 2-Evan Gram seminars and 1- Rick Stawski's seminar to say which one was the best it all depends on what you want out of it and try to get out of it .Both were good in there ways Rick's was Hands on and Evan's was not as hands on but very technical where Rick uses a Basic approach that is easy to follow and more of a common Sense approach.
    Evan is more technical on how you work the dog and how you teach the dog they compliment each other i got tons of information from both .

with all that said They were both great and would recommend Both to anyone and also the DVD's are great .
    The only Dog is a Black Dog

Jake Wilde

I went to Lardy's All Age Workshop this past February and had a great time. I learned a lot - so much was covered in the 4 days. I went as an observer and want to go back again as a handler next time. I would highly recommend it to anyone who runs trials.

Andy
    Andy

"You can't win until you are not afraid to lose."

Luckydux Cheese And Quackers CD MH - Briezy (7/20/99-4/4/14)
    Luckydux Drakehaven Hot Ticket*** - Ticket
    Luckydux Gave Her Momma Forty Quacks - Lizzie
    Luckydux Quacker Jaxx WC JH - Jaxxy
    Luckydux Graham Quacker WC JH -Graham
    Luckydux Penny In A Parking Lot - Penny

Default Best ever Seminar

Hands down....Carol Cassity's Handling Seminar this past June in Ontario....Absolutely wonderful! We came away with so many new tools. Carol really has a wonderful gift in that she can read the dogs so well and adjust her agenda to address issues that come up along the way.

We were both a working dog and an observing spot....my husband handled a dog and I observed. We both were impressed with amount of knowledge we came away with.

This is our second seminar with Carol and hopefully this will be a yearly event. Carol also had a superb book of drills that we use on a daily basis, really helpful.

If you ever have the chance to attend one of her seminars, I highly recommend it, you won't be disapointed!
    Max, Maggie, Houston & (Orion)
    Avatar courtesy of Marsha Wilcox Photography

i've only been to one, and that was Stawski's in June. i really enjoyed it because i got to work with my dog in front of rick and everyone else, and by doing that, got all kinds of help from everyone. definitely helped me in my training. also, because everybody ran their dogs, we got to see all kinds of problems people have, and all of the different ways/opinions to resolve them. it was definitely a learning experience.

....oh, and the food was great too
    Blazin' Rebel General
    "Jackson"

For training I think it's a tie between Farmer's and Avant's seminars. As far as handling, hands down Rorem.