RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Zinger Winger II G4 vs Gunners Up Original Launcher

5K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Joe Brakke 
#1 ·
Anybody that has experience with both, which do you prefer? Also, Dogtra or Tri tronics release electronics?

Thanks!

#2 ·
We have used both for training HRC. Feel safe using the Zinger Winger. Gunners is okay but someone got hurt badly loading it, so I am cautious. The safety must be on. JMO

#3 ·
Mary Lynn,

I curious as to how this could happen when Gunners Up is the only launcher on the market with a built in safety latch. It would be virtually impossible for someone to get hurt using one of our launchers in the correct manner.

Rich Davis
Gunners Up

#4 ·
I prefer Zinger. I feel that they are the better built of the two, but others will disagree. Either electronics are fine. If you feel that you need a duck call instead of just the beep, then you will want to go with Dogtra, but otherwise they do exactly the same thing.

#10 ·
We have one of each. Non-technical me, I think they're pretty equivalent, in that they both throw a nice bird. DH likes the GU, because he likes the mechanism that holds the pouch back better, and he thinks the safety latch is a big improvement. We have TT on both because we like the quack.

#12 ·
As a Dealer for Gunners Up now for several years I am obviously biased but everything that Corey has said is and has been my experience as well. If you have any specific questions just shoot me a PM and I will be glad to answer them for you directly. "You never make yourself look better by burning down your neighbor's house." - Brian

#13 ·
I have both. Very few issues with either. Like the GU better.
GU - great product, and awesome service if you need it, OR even if you have questions.
After being TT for 30 years, I swithched to DogTra for the release remotes, and like them better. Still like the TT collars better.

#14 ·
I own 4 GU but have used zingers. They are both good quality products but IMO the GU are safer.

I own Dogtra releases but I've also used TT in the past, for using one of those retired gunners, TT would be great as they have a left side and right side on the receiver, but the dogtra's only have one plug. That said, it's also easier to get the left and right side switched.

#15 ·
After having 2 zingers I would even consider buying a GU, the hook on the ZW is a far superior design to the GU cluster **** of having to pull back the pouch and hook it through and push down the servo at the same time. Other than that similar product but that is a deal breaker to me, ZW you pull down and hook. GU you pull down, put the lever through the ring then push it down on the servo to latch. No comparison.

#16 ·
As I said before in this post, I like Gunners Up. I think that some have given some misinformation about Dogtra though. First of all, they have a duck call and a beep. In fact, they had the duck call feature in the old model before TT. Also, the Dogtra RRD does have two ports for right and left sided launch and also a port for an external speaker so that you can boost the volume. Another factor to consider is that Zinger has recently fallen in love with their own product and where they used to be pretty competitive, they are now more expensive for a comparable model.

#17 ·
I owned and used 3 GU originals for 5 years. Had very little trouble with them. And I used them A LOT. To be honest if you think I'm going to use the safety on them everytime your nuts. I don't know how many times I forgot to take the safety off on one of them before I removed them (always the last bird of a triple of course).

I purchased and used 3 SOB wingers for 6 months. Good luck trying to throw a bird into the wind with these! I don't own them anymore. Wouldn't recommend them to anyone not using a VW Bug for a dog truck.

I own 4 Zingers G4's now. Love them! The latch is much more user friendly. They throw a better bird than the original GU. You don't have to worry about getting the ring on the red line etc.

BTW my 7 year old zinger box launcher has the same safety as GU wingers. Not sure who was first but GU is not the only one with a safety.

By the way every problem I had with my GU jerry took great care of me.

#18 ·
I believe Rich was referring only to the regular wingers and to box launchers in regard to the safety.

#20 ·
Used Both in HRC, its a preference it seems. I decided on the GU SOG due to size and storage in my truck. I prefer GU product based on the HRC usage. SO I got 2 SOG's and love them. Dogtra electronics works fine. I will buy my third in a couple of weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.