The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Queen Anne's County (MD) Deputy Sheriff needs help

I know Bobbyand Benny well, having been a former K9 handler in an adjacent countysheriff's office, and worked and trained with Bobby and Benny foryears. Bobby is a consummate professional, a devoted family man, and awell respected member of his community and the county he serves. Furthermore,Benny is a fantastic dog who has had an outstanding service recordfor the QACSO. Bobby, who is also on the SWAT team, was injured fighting asuspect on a tactical raid. His administration told him they would ratherkennel the dog in a PUBLIC BOARDING KENNEL thanallow him to care for the dog at home while on light duty. When he argued thatplan, he was told they would just retire the dog instead. However, the QACSOadmin then decided that rather than do the local customary "K9retirement plan" of selling a retired dog to its handler for$1 along with a contract that releases the S.O. of allliability, they wanted Bobby to pay $2,000 if he wanted to keep him.Well take it from a former law enforcement officer on the Eastern Shore of Maryland...tellinga working class cop with a family he needs to come up with anunbudgeted $2K in that short amount of time, to pay for the dog that wouldlay his life down for him, all from Sheriff's Office with a multi-milliondollar a year budget , is about one of the biggest slaps in the face youcan give to a seasoned veteran who protects and serves yourcommunity. Trying to get top dollar when selling an old cruiser orsome type of old equipment in order to help offset replacement costs is onething, driving that wedge between a handler and his K9 partner that he hastrusted with his life at times is entirely different. Shame on SheriffHoffman and those who made this decision. Trying to squeeze $2K outof Bobby is just another example of how poorly run administrationschase off good cops. And in case anyone's interested, Google "QueenAnne's County Federal Lawsuit" for starters, just to get an insideglimpse into the politics of this administration. NOT the Deputies,the ADMIN. Sorry to get off on a tangent, but hopefully it touches a fewpeople and will prompt some donations. Good luck to my former LEO brothersBobby and Benny, we'll find a way to make it work somehow.

Thanks for the background info Nate! As a current K9 handler, I knew there was more to the story then met the eye. Godspeed to Bobby, get well brother, lets get Benny home where he belongs! People do not have a clue on what these dogs do for the community and the boys in blue. They take everything the bad guys can give them, smile and ask for more. And will pay the ultimate price if asked too, without thinking twice. Yet when it is time to repay them, we let politics get in the way. Instead of retiring to the home he has known for years, we will just euthanize him.... Get real! Hope Sheriff Hoffman wakes up and does the right thing.

Unbelievable....
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Thank you to those who have contacted me for the PayPal information. I am in contact with one of the Deputy Sheriffs (a former client) who will be assisting me with meeting with the FOP to present the funds to them for payment to Queen Anne's County Office of the Sheriff for Benny.

Please, let's not let the "politics" get in the way of helping out DFC Boyles keep Benny with him. All I care about is doing what I can to keep those 2 together. I know how deep the bond is between a K9 handler and their dog. I can't stand by and not try to help, even if it is just in a small way.
    Last edited by Vicky Trainor; 06-17-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Vicky i also copied and pasted this to my Facebook. I also posted it on the Refuge. If anyone has any questions I will send them your way. Whats your email.
    Last edited by j towne; 06-17-2013 at 11:46 PM.

J towne - sent you a PM with my info.

Thanks for your help
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator

My dad is the president of FOP lodge 108 which is running this donation for DFC Boyles and Benny. He is a former QA Sheriff Deputy. I just wanted to thank Vicky and everyone on here who has donated to help these K9 Partners stay together.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kempel View Post
    My dad is the president of FOP lodge 108 which is running this donation for DFC Boyles and Benny. He is a former QA Sheriff Deputy. I just wanted to thank Vicky and everyone on here who has donated to help these K9 Partners stay together.
    Thank you
    MIke I tried calling your dad. I sent you a PM.

Will you please see your PM and perhaps give me a call back?

I'd like to briefly talk about some details on this matter.

Thanks, Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Where are we on this? How much is left to raise? Vicky fb me as I am not on here often enough...thanks!
    "He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."

I have received $160.00 as of tonight.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator

I sent mine in (via USPS), but will be out of town at the deadline. I hope they make it! Please post the result.