The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: 57 Days Old....How far?

Default 57 Days Old....How far?

As the title states, pup is 57 days today. We can go out to our pond and pup knows bumpers are coming. He gets very excited. I've been using a part of the pond where we put a gradual slope if/when we ever wanted to put boat in the water. Last night pup jumps off in the pond where there's a steep drop off (2-3' from water to bank) and I have to pull him out. Then we go to the sloped part and toss a few bumpers. About the second or third bumper he swims way past the bumper but eventually finds the bumper and makes the retrieve. Well, as I've stated, he's a family companion first. After seeing these two things happen the wife and boys are worried for the pup. Since I'm a newbie, they say I'm rushing things and I'm going to cause the pup to drown. Can some more experienced people tell me how far you toss the bumper for a young pup? If I get answers like I believe I will then I'm going to let them read your post. If not....well, I guess I'll adjust to your suggestions. Thanks gals and guys!!

57 days old is still really really young. I wouldn't go thrownin the bumper too far. probably like 15 yards or so and I would definetly make sure I could get to him quickly when I did throw.

you have plenty of time to train him and work on increasing distance. just try to bond with him and enjoy his puppy days while they last.

Quote Originally Posted by straightsix View Post
    57 days old is still really really young. I wouldn't go thrownin the bumper too far. probably like 15 yards or so and I would definetly make sure I could get to him quickly when I did throw.

you have plenty of time to train him and work on increasing distance. just try to bond with him and enjoy his puppy days while they last.
    X2. Just enjoy the pup and let the pup enjoy you. That really is the most important thing at this age. Building a confident and happy retriever for life begins with building a confident and happy retriever day one. More often than not - that doesn't have anything to do with retrieving. Exposure to water is exposure, make sure it's successful and not work.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Thanks for the responses!! I guess I should've said I've been tossing the bumper no more than 15 yards with only 5 of that where he actually has to swim. The other 10 is part of the gradual slope. Thanks again!! BTW-HNTFSH, I may be headed your way around July 4th. If so, I'll shoot you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cocdawg View Post
    Thanks for the responses!! I guess I should've said I've been tossing the bumper no more than 15 yards with only 5 of that where he actually has to swim. The other 10 is part of the gradual slope. Thanks again!! BTW-HNTFSH, I may be headed your way around July 4th. If so, I'll shoot you a PM.
    Like most things dog, especially puppy..start small and close then move out with confidence. Let me know on July!! We'll get 'em wet.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Sounds like he likes the water to me. I have never seen a puppy drown!

Unless he gets injured... he will not drown in a pond...

I recently acquired a fine puppy(M.J.) from Fishduck. At 56 days she was making numerous retrieves (much more retrieves than you are throwing your pup) out to 35 yards or so. Just watch your pup, keep it fun, and stop while he is still wanting more.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).