The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this sound like torn cruciate?

Default Does this sound like torn cruciate?

Dog walks, runs plays same but when tried to jump in back of SUV to crate, yelps and holds up back right foot/leg. Jumps down okay, same reaction when jumping up on sofa or bed? However, does not seem to be favoring the leg or walking on tip toe? Any thoughts, I have checked for thorns and broken toe nails, haven't found anything. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Get him vet checked please!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I plan on taking him in as soon as I can get an appointment tomorrow.

That is good. Best way to be sure! Good luck. Let us know.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

My little female lab ran in the back yard for a fun bumper turned, let out a yelp and held her hind leg up. She would put down the tip of her foot to walk and next day found out it was a torn acl. Best of Luck to you.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Just an update: Took Tag into Vet, (not mine but one who has TPLO surgery experience) GOOD NEWS: Not a torn cruciate!, Bad News: Not really sure what is up.....not in his hips, knees or hocks or feet....possibly a pinched nerve in his back (like sciatic) or disc problem???? He is on anti-inflammatory and rest for two weeks. Although in the last day or so he has been alittle better....he runs flat out like normal, and will put his front feet up but still doesn't want to "jump" up.
    We will take it slow and see if there is improvement... I do recall that he and my other male ran into each other playing outside, it was a hard hit and Tag went down, but of course got right up again and took off like nothing was wrong, but something could have happened. If the Anti-inflammatories do not work, he will go back for an xray of his lumbo sacral area....(R10?)

Was the vet able to recreate the pain in his office? It seems that most of the time I go in for a dog with an intermittent limp, the dog doesn't show anything in the vet's office.

A friend and training partner just went through an ileo psoas problem with his dog. A couple months of time off plus rehab vet and the dog seems fine now.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I encourage clients to take a brief video of lameness, it can be helpful when the lameness is not evident on examination.

Videos can be helpful, the worst thing you can do is take a rested and or medicated dog to the vet for a diagnosis. Its hard to diagnose lameness when the dog won't show it.

Well, the video is a great idea, I will try to be ready with the camera maybe if it persists. He was neither that well rested or medicated when I took him to see the vet, I didn't medicate because I didn't want to hide any possible symptoms. the only pain response was when Vet pushed down on his back near his tail. He is not lame at all running, walking or jumping down, only very reluctant to jump up and when he does he whimpers and holds up his right foot. If he doesn't come around we will do xrays. Vet also checked for prostrate problems but said all was normal there...I know something is not quite right because this dog has always been a jumper (altho he doesn't jump on you) but has always loved to jump up and kiss your cheek and now he doesn't even want to jump up on couch....