The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Puppy Marking Method

Default Puppy Marking Method

So you've got a bunch of puppies. What's your preferred method for marking them so that you can tell them apart?

We passed on the paint dots - they wear off - and are using little colored velcro straps (like for coiling an extension cord).

I'm sure someone on here has some brillant method that no one has ever thought of.
    "Somehow this creature has completed my manhood; somehow, I cannot explain why, a man ought to have a dog. A man ought to have six legs; those other four legs are part of him." -G.K. Chesterton

http://www.facebook.com/pennyretrievers

Senior Member Lesa Cozens Dauphin's Avatar

WWW.TEAMTAKEEM.COM

This place has the great puppy collars and the customer service is excellent.

lesa c
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers

Pup colors is what I'm using and love em. Easy to adjust and are washable

If you do a search, you'll find a few threads with all kinds of different ideas. I used to paint tail tips until a super mom decided even the tails should be spotless- now I use tiny Lupine puppy collars. They have a few different styles of whelping collars now. There is a soft ribbon type collar that has a buckle and an adjustable slider, they are nice and soft and good for newborns, downside is they get dirty easily- but can be washed. They also have a slightly more sturdy version which is made out of typical nylon collar material, so it's a little stiffer, but holds up super well. Those ones come in a zillion different color/pattern combinations and many sizes - the smallest size lasts my lab puppies from 0-3 weeks, then then next size to 8 weeks, and I send them hope with a slightly bigger size yet. Anyway, the lupine puppy collars are guaranteed for replacement even if they get chewed up which is nice- so far that's the only kind of damage I've had to mine, and they have been machine washed and dried hundreds of times. I like the reusable collars better than ribbons as you can adjust them rather than having to cute them off, no fraying, etc- and like them better than the velcro collars as I've seen some photos of puppies who've had rubs/cuts from the edges. I've also heard of people shaving tiny spots on different areas which I've never tried but can't really see a downside unless you don't have very steady hands during the shaving process!

A pic of little guys wearing the lupine collars. Mostly 'ribbon style' except for the one multicolored one at the top.

Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Got a friend who shaves a very small patch off each puppy in a different location. Front right shoulder, back left flank, rump, etc.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

We like different color nail polish. Its a little more persistent than paint.

I found the collars work well until the pups get to playing roughly at about 6-8 wks. After a night at that age I have found most of the pups without collars & having observed them play, the collar gives an all too convenient place for another pup to get hold of. I've also tried finger nail polish & it works OK but wears off, so you have to be diligent about keeping it up. I have trimmed toe nails with success but it also requires keeping up. Shaving a small area different for each pups works the best , IMO.........
    David Didier, GA

Here is a link that I use. They are paper with sticky on ends...cut to size...replace when needed....never had a problem :http://www.omahavaccine.com/product_...ppy+I.D.+Bands
    Ginger Pups 14 days 001.jpg
    Peg Willbond
    HRCH Rippling Run Good Golly Molly, MH, UD, WCX
    Rippling Run Touch of Spice ** MH, WCX
    Rippling Run Allie Allie In Free, ** MH, WCX

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    Got a friend who shaves a very small patch off each puppy in a different location. Front right shoulder, back left flank, rump, etc.

I did the same on the first litter. I pick puppies so, other than if one has an issue which needs to be watched I don't have much of a reason to color code them-

Wristbandexpress.com
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.