RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Puppy Marking Method

7K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Mike Perry 
#1 ·
So you've got a bunch of puppies. What's your preferred method for marking them so that you can tell them apart?

We passed on the paint dots - they wear off - and are using little colored velcro straps (like for coiling an extension cord).

I'm sure someone on here has some brillant method that no one has ever thought of.

#4 ·
If you do a search, you'll find a few threads with all kinds of different ideas. I used to paint tail tips until a super mom decided even the tails should be spotless- now I use tiny Lupine puppy collars. They have a few different styles of whelping collars now. There is a soft ribbon type collar that has a buckle and an adjustable slider, they are nice and soft and good for newborns, downside is they get dirty easily- but can be washed. They also have a slightly more sturdy version which is made out of typical nylon collar material, so it's a little stiffer, but holds up super well. Those ones come in a zillion different color/pattern combinations and many sizes - the smallest size lasts my lab puppies from 0-3 weeks, then then next size to 8 weeks, and I send them hope with a slightly bigger size yet. Anyway, the lupine puppy collars are guaranteed for replacement even if they get chewed up which is nice- so far that's the only kind of damage I've had to mine, and they have been machine washed and dried hundreds of times. I like the reusable collars better than ribbons as you can adjust them rather than having to cute them off, no fraying, etc- and like them better than the velcro collars as I've seen some photos of puppies who've had rubs/cuts from the edges. I've also heard of people shaving tiny spots on different areas which I've never tried but can't really see a downside unless you don't have very steady hands during the shaving process! :)

A pic of little guys wearing the lupine collars. Mostly 'ribbon style' except for the one multicolored one at the top.

#5 ·
Got a friend who shaves a very small patch off each puppy in a different location. Front right shoulder, back left flank, rump, etc.

#9 ·
Got a friend who shaves a very small patch off each puppy in a different location. Front right shoulder, back left flank, rump, etc.

I did the same on the first litter. I pick puppies so, other than if one has an issue which needs to be watched I don't have much of a reason to color code them-

#7 ·
I found the collars work well until the pups get to playing roughly at about 6-8 wks. After a night at that age I have found most of the pups without collars & having observed them play, the collar gives an all too convenient place for another pup to get hold of. I've also tried finger nail polish & it works OK but wears off, so you have to be diligent about keeping it up. I have trimmed toe nails with success but it also requires keeping up. Shaving a small area different for each pups works the best , IMO.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.