The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Hunting the area of the fall

  1. #1

    Default Hunting the area of the fall

    I do not post much but I have been reading long enough to know that first I should say that I have been following the Fowl Dawgs program. My dog has been through transition and handles and is running blinds not with many huge factors but she understands handling and the blind game. I have also done many searches for this topic and what I have found are discussions that turn more into arguments about whether the dirt clod drill is a good drill or not (the recent thread about the dirt clod drill is what originally got me started searching). My dog is a fairly good marker, not unbelievable, but plenty good enough to get the job done. The problem is with marks at a distance she will make the area of the fall but does not give a tight long hunt in the area of the fall. She does not switch to any other falls I set the marks up so its almost impossible to do that. She just gets into a really big loose hunt until she eventually works her way out of the area. What is the best way to keep her tight in the area until she digs it out? I have found salting the area and the dirt clod drills have come up but both are were pretty disputed with no real consensus. I have a bird thrower but shes has no interest in the dog and sometimes does more harm then good when trying to help (she tries to give casts etc...) its better that she stays quite.

    What is the best way to teach a dog to hunt tight in the area of the fall for an extended time until she finds the bird?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Jonesboro, GA
    Posts
    2,682

    Default

    Go to Retrievers ONLINE and search the index of articles. Order the appropriate back issues that address your issue.

    With probably every drill, there are different versions that are used for completely different issues. Some may use the dirt clod drill as a drill to work on a dog switching, others may use it a bit differently to work on focused hunts.

    Retrievers ONLINE is the best source for information for working on issues encountered during training beyond your basic program.

    Go to: http://www.retrieversonline.com/index.htm
    Click on: Index of Articles
    Click on: Training and Handling
    Press: Ctrl+F
    Type: Focus
    Press: Enter
    Result: TRA: Hunt Area and Focus Marking Drills Yr:2009 Vol:20 Issue:3 pgs:6-7

    Dennis Voigt has won three Nationals. He has credibility.

  3. #3
    Senior Member BJGatley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artner24 View Post
    I do not post much but I have been reading long enough to know that first I should say that I have been following the Fowl Dawgs program. My dog has been through transition and handles and is running blinds not with many huge factors but she understands handling and the blind game. I have also done many searches for this topic and what I have found are discussions that turn more into arguments about whether the dirt clod drill is a good drill or not (the recent thread about the dirt clod drill is what originally got me started searching). My dog is a fairly good marker, not unbelievable, but plenty good enough to get the job done. The problem is with marks at a distance she will make the area of the fall but does not give a tight long hunt in the area of the fall. She does not switch to any other falls I set the marks up so its almost impossible to do that. She just gets into a really big loose hunt until she eventually works her way out of the area. What is the best way to keep her tight in the area until she digs it out? I have found salting the area and the dirt clod drills have come up but both are were pretty disputed with no real consensus. I have a bird thrower but shes has no interest in the dog and sometimes does more harm then good when trying to help (she tries to give casts etc...) its better that she stays quite.

    What is the best way to teach a dog to hunt tight in the area of the fall for an extended time until she finds the bird?
    Birdboys well help you a lot in this area...All you have to do is get on the radio and have birdboy help. Birdboys are worth their weight in gold, if you got a good one.
    Can't say enough.

  4. #4

    Default

    I do currently subscribe to Retrievers Online. That's very helpful that you know the exact volume and issue that has my answer I just subscribed this year and really like the magazine. Could you possibly save me some time and let me know what drills or solutions are suggested for focus and hunt area in that issue? The reason is ask to get the suggestions quicker than ordering the old volumes is I have some friends coming for a visit/training this week and would like to work on this while I have quality willing help. I can do research about the specifics of the drills but names or big ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    Birdboys well help you a lot in this area...All you have to do is get on the radio and have birdboy help. Birdboys are worth their weight in gold, if you got a good one.
    Can't say enough.
    x2 a smart birdboy
    2x a salted area of fall
    also a fan of the old second toss and shot as dog is halfway out.
    Big Fan of that!
    but again, that is all on smart birdboy looking you in the eye and pouncing like a Tiger!
    are you in a retriever club?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

  6. #6

    Default

    BJ how does the bird boy help? Not being sarcastic thats a realsocket question. Just with "hey hey" to try to keep them close. What if the dogs ignores this?

  7. #7

    Default

    I am in a club but not one I can get to regularly more like once a month.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,332

    Default

    somebody..... did /paul do one once...... somebody should start a birdboy how to thread.
    like how to move dogs in area of fall by steping the way you want the dog to go.
    or the value of the hey hey and fake throw.
    how to guard your grain sack of birds and what to do when the lost dog ends up in your gunners blind
    wasnt there a thread like that? or was it before the great purge?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Boston, GA
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
    Go to Retrievers ONLINE and search the index of articles. Order the appropriate back issues that address your issue.

    With probably every drill, there are different versions that are used for completely different issues. Some may use the dirt clod drill as a drill to work on a dog switching, others may use it a bit differently to work on focused hunts.

    Retrievers ONLINE is the best source for information for working on issues encountered during training beyond your basic program.

    Go to: http://www.retrieversonline.com/index.htm
    Click on: Index of Articles
    Click on: Training and Handling
    Press: Ctrl+F
    Type: Focus
    Press: Enter
    Result: TRA: Hunt Area and Focus Marking Drills Yr:2009 Vol:20 Issue:3 pgs:6-7

    Dennis Voigt has won three Nationals. He has credibility.
    Also check out Retrievers ONLINE, Vol XIX, #1 pg 10 Getting Tighter Hunts.(Jan/Feb 2008)
    Last edited by Thomas D; 08-06-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    Tom Dorroh

  10. #10
    Senior Member BJGatley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Oh Lord...You are expecting a magic pill to solve this? How about salt the area and have birdboy help? I say no more on this thread.

    Good luck....

    Edit post; Just read your post....Dog will stay in area....Birdboy will throw another bird if that what it takes....
    Last edited by BJGatley; 08-06-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •