The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RAC Meeting - Rule changes? Proposed rules?

Default RAC Meeting - Rule changes? Proposed rules?

There were two items that have previously been up for discussion and now have passed into law.

The first is the definition of Amateur Status.
    The second is the prohibition of Layout Blinds.

A brief summary was given for each of the above mentioned rule changes.
    Anyone have the actual wording for these two new rules? When do they go into effect (or is it affect...)?

And since it's no outlawed....anyone want to buy a couple layout blinds? <sigh>

The committee is in the infancy stage of discussion on the following two rule changes:

1. If a club holds 2 trials per year, then every other year, their 2nd trial of the year can have an Amateur
    Stake with minor stakes, but no Open.
    2. Limit Amateur Handlers to 3 dogs , per stake, at a clubs' discretion.

The above two topics are young and just beginning to have formal discussions.
    Thoughts on these two new proposals?

I'm NOT a fan of #2 - think about it this way, I have two dogs, my husband has two dogs...one of us judge for the club, but the other will have to choose which dog not to run? That's a good way to keep us from judging in the future...just another question to add to my list when asked to judge...(if it becomes a rule and of course if we ever end up with more than a couple dogs a piece)...and we limit the Amateur who normally puts on the event and judges? I'm not in favor of limiting the Amateur....

FOM
    Last edited by FOM; 06-18-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Anyone have the actual wording for these two new rules? When do they go into effect (or is it affect...)?

And since it's no outlawed....anyone want to buy a couple layout blinds? <sigh>

Thoughts on these two new proposals?

I'm NOT a fan of #2 - think about it this way, I have two dogs, my husband has two dogs...one of us judge for the club, but the other will have to choose which dog not to run? That's a good way to keep us from judging in the future...just another question to add to my list when asked to judge...(if it becomes a rule and of course if we ever end up with more than a couple dogs a piece)...and we limit the Amateur who normally puts on the event and judges? I'm not in favor of limiting the Amateur....

FOM
    Lainee : I sarcastically call proposal # 2 the Medford-Washburn rule...in a previous thread I brought up the fact that at one time Lanse actually had 4 AA dogs active in the circuit, but was told that he "never" entered all of them in the same stake..heck Clint had 4 dogs at one time less than 4 years ago...just not a fan of legislation that limits the size of a single person's entry..If one thinks that a rule is going to curtail certain people from owning,co owning,bringing or having a truck load of dogs they are delusional at best...Mr Medford has SIX dogs at the National Amateur, if you dont want him entered at your trial, there is another trial that will welcome him with open arms

the amateur owner makes this game possible , they are the lifeblood of the sport
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I am not a fan of the second one either, but it is at the club's discretion and not a blanket rule, so it doesn't bother me as much. The first one sounds like fun except it would essentially be a D/Q. The pros will go run an open somewhere that weekend and how many Ams would pull their dogs off the truck to go run a different Am only?

I kinda thought this might get more attention....

Doug, Lisa and Kate have worked this past year to overhaul how the committee is set-up. With the retirement of Nelson Sills, the opportunity arose to revise and adjust the committee. They will continue to have one member from each time zone, plus a chairman. They will initiate term limits of 8 years.
    /Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Paul,

I wanted to discuss "rules" (actual and proposed) I did not want to get into the political BS of how members are chosen, etc...it would be better as it's own thread...

Lainee

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

along with the departure of Nelson Sills, you have Bob Kennon Jr who has been on the RAC for 29 years and Bill Daley who has been there almost as long

the new qualifications eliminate 95% of the people in the game

1. at least 40+ judging points

2. at least 20 years in the sport

3. having titled a dog

4. recently running a dog on the circuit

I can name the possible nominees on one hand
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I am not in favor of limiting the number of Opens a club has in a year, It will make it much more difficult for those trying to put DC's on Labs......

As for the rest of it, it is what it is. It is a matter of being able to show up at an AKC General Membership Mtg with some stature. You know, the kind carried by Auggie, Nelson, and Pete ....... and Bon, you and I both know there are but a hand full of people in the game( if that many) that have that kind of stature.

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 06-18-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

I get kinda pissed off at the mind set of if you can't train the dog to do something or can't beat someone, change the rules to make it, or them, illegal.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    along with the departure of Nelson Sills, you have Bob Kennon Jr who has been on the RAC for 29 years and Bill Daley who has been there almost as long

the new qualifications eliminate 95% of the people in the game

1. at least 40+ judging points

2. at least 20 years in the sport

3. having titled a dog

4. recently running a dog on the circuit

I can name the possible nominees on one hand
    Fine....I'll play...these are the immediate questions that popped up in my head when I read the blog:

1) Judging points...is anyone actually keeping track of points past 8? And are we talking just Championship points?
    2) Define "in the sport" - specifically FTs? What about the person who takes a few off in between dogs/family obligations? Who is keeping track of years in the sport? What makes up a year?
    3) Well if it was easy, everyone would have a FC/AFC...does title dog include one that the owner never put a hand over??
    4) So running a dog once a year, does that count? Minor stakes?

And yes I know they are in the process of trying to define the criteria, so maybe they will answer these questions in the process? But i do have to wonder if the qualifications eliminates too many "qualified" people?

And does the community have a say whether they want a specific person to be their representative??
    Last edited by FOM; 06-18-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    But i do have to wonder if the qualifications eliminates too many "qualified" people?
    My take on it was that it was set up to eliminate many qualified people. Sort of like when you have an internal candidate for a job but HR makes you post it externally. Just make the criteria match only the candidate you have in mind...

I would hope that someone who has judged 40 times over 20 years running FTs would have at least had one dog good enough to title. Alas, when my time comes to take my place on the RAC in about 17 years, that may be the one thing that keeps me out