The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomorrow is the BIG day!!!!

Default Tomorrow is the BIG day!!!!

Tomorrow is the first ever hunt test for me and my pup!! I am so excited for this!!! Not really nervous yet cause i think Im looking at it as another day day of group training. But the flies always get me when gettin my girl outa the kennel!! It will be our first JH test and i do believe shes ready. I wanna throw out a thank you all here at RTF for all the reads and info here!!! In one way or another it has helped us both out one way or another. She is the first dog ive EVER trained and man what a ride!!! I've realized how much fun, rewarding and aggravating training a dog can really be. But the rewards tottally out wiegh the aggrivation!! I recon tomorrow will tell how well I've actually done?!?! Since starting this journey ive learned so much from RTF reading books and watching videos, this past Jan. I made a post here on RTF about training groups in KCMO. Low and behold Mr Greg Nelson stepped up and threw me an invite with him and his group and MAN what a ride its been!! He is really a stand up guy with a very diversified knowledgeable group that has help alot as well!! So know its off on our journey in the hunt test world!! So i must say Thank you to Greg for all youve sone and helped me (us) with!!! Thank you Jon and "Bella"

First stop Lincoln Neb!!!!
    Last edited by Jon Shinneman; 06-24-2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: SPELLING

Good Luck! May your dog's lines be straight, your casts crisp, the weather in your favor, and you both have fun.
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

THis is going to be a huge day for both of you. How you run this test will determine how your dog percieves every other test you'll ever run.

I'm no pro, but here are some critical mistakes I made, and should have learned from:
    1. Stay calm. Your dog can tell if you're anxious. Just relax.
    2. Don't be afraid to ask a question. Judges at Junior tests know you're probably new at this, and most of the time they're really willing to help you out.
    3. If the test doesn't go well, don't get dejected or lose your cool - there'll be another chance!

Good luck!
    "Somehow this creature has completed my manhood; somehow, I cannot explain why, a man ought to have a dog. A man ought to have six legs; those other four legs are part of him." -G.K. Chesterton

http://www.facebook.com/pennyretrievers

Good luck this weekend. You will really enjoy the ride you are about to embark on.

A few things I try to tell everyone when I am judging:

1. BREATHE.
    2. DO NOT RUSH. You do not have to rush to the line, rush to call for the birds, rush to call for the second bird, etc. take your time. your dog will thank you, and you will thank yourself after you are done running.
    3. ASK QUESTIONS - Do not be afraid to ask questions of the judges or fellow contestants. They will be very helpful.

And lastly, since you are in a test, make sure you follow the rules:
    1. Do not talk to the dog after you call for the bird, until the judge calls dog or number. Then you can talk to him again.
    2. GET THE BIRD. Although it is nice to have the dog heel to your side, and sit down, do not fuss over it. If your dog drops the bird, and picks it up, and you try to fuss with him, he may drop it again, and again, and again. Maintain your standard, but at the same time, just get the bird. You can work on all of that stuff at your next training session. I have seen a few people fail a test because they wanted to be perfect, and as a result, they continued to pick and fuss at their dog to have him hold the bird, heel properly sit down, etc. and in the end, the dog dropped the bird and would not pick it up. If they had just grabbed the bird when he got to them, they would have passed. Sometimes, this is because of handler nerves. The dog can feel them, and gets nervous themselves, and in the end, you may walk away saying "he never did that before"... It has happened to quite a few of us, if not all of us.

AND LASTLY. GOOD LUCK.

Go have a blast!
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

Good luck and have fun!

Good luck and have fun!

Good Luck, pass or fail have fun, learn from your successes & mistakes, and remember to BREATH while you’re at the line!!!!
    Official Launcher of the 2005, 2006,2007,2008,2009 & 2010 HRC Fall & Spring Grand!

Thats how im looking at this is a new place to train and just have fun and meet new people!!

Have fun and good luck!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray