RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Ever have one of those days

4K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  jwiacek 
#1 ·
Ever have one of those days training where nothing you did seemed to work out as planned and neither you or your dog were having much fun? Made me wonder why I didn't just stay home and mow the lawn. At least something productive would have taken place.

Dawn

#2 ·
Been there. lol

#4 ·
been there done that, too, but then 2 weeks later the poor boy was diagnosed with pneumonia which apparently had been his "issue" the day we were having problems. Just got the go-ahead today to go back to training.
Sometimes I wish they could talk so they could tell us WHY they're having such a bad day. "Geez lady, I can't breathe right, I'm exhausted, cut me some slack here...."

#5 ·
Been there, done that often lately...feels like more sessions than not here. Few frustrating sessions have abruptly ended on the smallest of positives and then we head home so I can mow the yard. Rather take the frustration out on the yard than my YLF :)
Somedays there might be a good explanation like an underlying medical cause or operator error (I make mistakes from time to time), but other times I chalk it up to variance...go do something fun, start fresh tomorrow or the next day.
Matt

#10 ·
Actually there is a moon coming. It is supposed to be a "Super Moon". Trust me, all the dogs turn into complete idiots during full moons. The good dogs turn naughty and the bad ones either get worse or halfway decent.

#11 ·
Today was a much better day.

dawn

#12 ·
Yes I seem to have more than my share of THOSE days.

Lonnie Spann

#13 ·
But then you have the GOOD days like today for me. My hot little charger who has had issues with breaking and vocalizing sat PERFECTLY still for a water mark...so I shot the second Bumper Boy and she had a lovely water double without a twitch or a peep. That's what keeps us coming back : )

#14 ·
Well, if you didn't leave training crying it wasn't that bad. Brush the dust off and hit it tomorrow.

#16 ·
Happens once every month or so. Worst one ever was every set up the battery on a different winger would die. After I lost them all I got the puppy out to do some shorts marks. Tossed him a hup hup to get him warmed up. I threw it like a little kid and it went straight up into a tree and got stuck. I put the pup away, had to shimmy up the tree to get the bumper. When I got back down I loaded everything up and went home. It was like the Eddy Murphy movie "Life." "Just can't get right Boss"

#17 ·
I especially enjoy those electronic glitches. Always seems to happen on that key mark or just when you finally get the young dog to look long past tight short gun. The good days make you forgot the bad ones

Dawn

#18 ·
Good thread, Dawn...sharing kind of helps others that had the same experience..on the same day..LOL

Judy

#20 ·
Why is does this sound so familiar?
Sometimes I just have ask the dogs why I like them so much.
They respond by shaking their just recently acquired not supposed jump in skankest swamp water all over me.
I truly love them for the dogs they are, they make me laugh out loud

#21 ·
Hi Dawn,

We went through that yesterday! Got to get her ready for Blackcreek this weekend!!!!! Got to bounce back tomorrow!!!

Chris

#23 ·
It must be in the water this week! Training partner and I had one of those session on Tuesday. Every dog we ran was screwy. Winger would not release. Swarmed by mosquitos on steroids. Finally just packed it in and went home and had a beer. Would have mowed the lawn but I snapped the handle off the mower last week...

#24 ·
Training Dogs is like playing golf. It's that one good shot that keeps you coming back day after day. It seems like at some point every day you wonder what you are doing and then that one blind or that one mark goes perfect and you get hooked all over again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.