The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NAFC!! Is there such an animal. A REAL AMATEUR TRAINED CHAMPION?

Default NAFC!! Is there such an animal. A REAL AMATEUR TRAINED CHAMPION?

I was looking at the new Retriever News Mag. for June 2013. Congrats again to Chad & Traveler.
    I was looking at the first winner NFC-AFC Major Vl.
    Definition :Amateur- Not Professional

But, the winner was a NFC. Has there ever been a NAFC that was not Pro trained?

Is there a event where there are actual amateur trained dogs for a relevant title.

I have noticed that even in the Hunt test games there are really hardly any amateur trained dogs.

Notice: I am not knocking the pros - the people that have or want to get help with thier dogs.

A lot of the people that I see have at some point either have a pro take on a major part of thier training and take the credit for thier dog being called amateur trained . Is there anyone that has a real amateur trained dog & has reached a major event such as the NAFC?

I don't have a dog running the NAFC but my dodoes have his HRCH UH and is one pass from his MH title has derby JAMS and we even walked to the line in a AM in a ft and wasn't embarrassed at all and he is 100% amateur trained and he is only my second dog I have ever owned. Yeah he might never be a FC or AFC but to me it's about the journey.
    HRCH UH Duke of Holy Trinity MH "Duke"
    HR Hunter Eric Lingler "Hunter"

There's been quite a few. I believe ken Neil trains his own, Dennis Bath, Newt Cropper. Sorry if my list isn't super accurate, just going by what I see and I could be wrong. Many more I'm sure though. Just because they run the open, doesn't mean they're being run by a pro. Lots of ams run in the open and nat'l open.

Lots of them...right off the top of my head

1974 NAFC Ray's Rascal - Ray Goodrich

1982 NAFC FC CNFC Piper's Pacer- Roy McFall

and I think NAFC NFC CNFC Wanapum Dart's Dandy- Charlie Hill
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Is there anyone that has a real amateur trained dog & has reached a major event such as the NAFC?
    My bitch, FC/AFC Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog, has never been at a pro's or run by a pro although I have day trained with a pro a day or two here and a week there. She has qualified for several NAFC's but alas, has never been to one.

Roy McFall's FC/86(?)NAFC CNAFTCH Piper's Pacer was trained by Roy an amateur.

There are amateur trained dogs that make it to the NAFC every year that are amateur trained.

I wouldn't brood to much on pro vs amateur trained dogs. Think more about getting the best dog you can the best training you can.

This year, I know for sure that dog number 101 AFC Fishook Megan is entirely amateur trained by one of my training partners Eloy Garcia.
    Last edited by Howard N; 06-18-2013 at 11:04 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Malarky View Post
    I was looking at the new Retriever News Mag. for June 2013. Congrats again to Chad & Traveler.
    I was looking at the first winner NFC-AFC Major Vl.
    Definition :Amateur- Not Professional

But, the winner was a NFC. Has there ever been a NAFC that was not Pro trained?

Is there a event where there are actual amateur trained dogs for a relevant title.

I have noticed that even in the Hunt test games there are really hardly any amateur trained dogs.

Notice: I am not knocking the pros - the people that have or want to get help with thier dogs.

A lot of the people that I see have at some point either have a pro take on a major part of thier training and take the credit for thier dog being called amateur trained . Is there anyone that has a real amateur trained dog & has reached a major event such as the NAFC?
    Are you asking about dogs that qualified to run the National Am, or dogs that have titled NAFC?

A bunch of dogs running in this year's National Am are amateur trained.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Are you asking about dogs that qualified to run the National Am, or dogs that have titled NAFC?

A bunch of dogs running in this year's National Am are amateur trained.
    Could you give a list of those running this year who are 100% Amateur trained?

Quote Originally Posted by smillerdvm View Post
    Could you give a list of those running this year who are 100% Amateur trained?

Chris Hatch and Saber

would have been his training partner too had he entered

Don Graves and Ruby
    Last edited by BonMallari; 06-18-2013 at 11:41 PM.

A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Lots of them...right off the top of my head

1974 NAFC Ray's Rascal - Ray Goodrich

1982 NAFC FC CNFC Piper's Pacer- Roy McFall

and I think NAFC NFC CNFC Wanapum Dart's Dandy- Charlie Hill

Bon,

Your going along way's back in time, I'm sure every year a certain percentage of the dogs Qualified are 100% Am trained, but if you go back and do the numbers on the dogs that make it to the final, those numbers are pretty slim. I would venture to say 95 % of ALL finalist's in the past have had a Pro put a hand over there head during some part of there training... Not that theres anything wrong with it but lets not be fooled by the fact that most of these dogs are and have been pro trained most of there life...
    Last edited by Todd Caswell; 06-18-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Bon,

Your going along way's back in time, I'm sure every year a certain percentage of the dogs Qualified are 100% Am trained, but if you go back and do the numbers on the dogs that make it to the final, those numbers are pretty slim. I would venture to say 95 % of ALL finalist's in the past have had a Pro put a hand over there head during some part of there training...
    Todd the OP Question was has there ever been an NAFC that was amateur trained