The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NAFC!! Is there such an animal. A REAL AMATEUR TRAINED CHAMPION?

thank bon I was going to point that out about chris hatch he is all am

Quote Originally Posted by smillerdvm View Post
    Could you give a list of those running this year who are 100% Amateur trained?
    Here's a few that I think I know:

39. AFC Rockliffs Justdoit (Nike), LM, Paul Foster

86. AFC-CFC-CAFC Upon The Wings Of An Answered Prayer (Ammo), LF, Bill Petrovish

114. FC-AFC Red Butte’s Tiger Lilly (Lilly), LF, Joseph Taylor

Dog #114's owner/handler is my training partner, an excellent mentor. I believe he has done close to 100% of the training on Lilly, I have thrown many birds for her this past year. Ammo and Nike I know less well, but I believe they are amateur trained.

How about Al Wilson, one of the judges? I am under the impression he has trained his own dogs. I think 2 of them qualified for the national am this year, but obviously could not compete.

And then you have Howard's dog(s), who qualified but did not run.
    Renee P

If you cant beat em'... talk about em'
    Last edited by shawninthesticks; 06-18-2013 at 11:23 PM.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Erin O'Brien View Post
    There's been quite a few. I believe ken Neil trains his own, Dennis Bath, Newt Cropper. Sorry if my list isn't super accurate, just going by what I see and I could be wrong. Many more I'm sure though. Just because they run the open, doesn't mean they're being run by a pro. Lots of ams run in the open and nat'l open.
    All of those you mention use pros for some portion of their dogs training. Dennis & Ken have routinely used a pro for young dog training to 18 mos - 2yrs & at least some problem solving thereafter. Ken trains with pros most every day. Not saying that's bad, it's just what they do (like most of us).

To the OP's question, it seems to be inferred that the NARC and the NAFC title is about amateur "trained" dogs when it was never envisioned as such. It originated to enable amateur handlers to compete among themselves for a nat'l title.
    David Didier, GA

A couple of Am trained are Sharon Gierman's
    49. FC-AFC-CNFC-CAFC Taylorlab Calumet's Big Blue
    111. AFC Mjolnir's There and Back Again

​OP notice the CNFC on Blue. Totally am trained.
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama

Chris Hatch is 100% amateur. He bred Saber, he trained Saber, he runs Saber. This is Saber's 5th time he has qualified to run in a National Amateur. He and Chris were finalists in the 2011 National Am. Saber has had a great year so far.

I am keeping my fingerers crossed that this is the year for Chris and Saber. Keep your eye on #18. After 5 series, he is doing well.

Don is regretting now that he did not enter Ruby. He wishes he was there with his training partner facing each day's challenging tests with Chris (instead of painting our house). I never told him they could not go; it was his decision. We both now regret it as Ruby will be 9 years old the end of October. Well, there is always next year with an almost 10 year old with frost on her muzzle, right?

Helen
    Last edited by helencalif; 06-19-2013 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    My bitch, FC/AFC Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog, has never been at a pro's or run by a pro although I have day trained with a pro a day or two here and a week there. She has qualified for several NAFC's but alas, has never been to one.

Roy McFall's FC/86(?)NAFC CNAFTCH Piper's Pacer was trained by Roy an amateur.

There are amateur trained dogs that make it to the NAFC every year that are amateur trained.

I wouldn't brood to much on pro vs amateur trained dogs. Think more about getting the best dog you can the best training you can.

This year, I know for sure that dog number 101 AFC Fishook Megan is entirely amateur trained by one of my training partners Eloy Garcia.
    This is what I think I'm wondering about. I don't care that anyone trains better than me or what they have to do to get thier dog to where they want them.
    It's just kinda like the Golf US Open. A real Am. can qualify & could win. I'm just wondering if there are dogs out there in this event that are like Howards that are (TRAINED) by real Am.
    It would also be nice for real amateurs to have a place to compete against other amateurs without having to go up against the pros also. Or an event!!
    If it is suppose to be an amatuer event an it is made up of so many pros then it kinda reminds me of the Little League World Series where you think you are competeing on the same level & then you find out the clean shaven kid that is really 18 has been blowing all your batters away is 18 instead of 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Malarky View Post
    This is what I think I'm wondering about. I don't care that anyone trains better than me or what they have to do to get thier dog to where they want them.
    It's just kinda like the Golf US Open. A real Am. can qualify & could win. I'm just wondering if there are dogs out there in this event that are like Howards that are (TRAINED) by real Am.
    It would also be nice for real amateurs to have a place to compete against other amateurs without having to go up against the pros also. Or an event!!
    If it is suppose to be an amatuer event an it is made up of so many pros then it kinda reminds me of the Little League World Series where you think you are competeing on the same level & then you find out the clean shaven kid that is really 18 has been blowing all your batters away is 18 instead of 13.
    Amateurs already compete in the Am. I am not sure how you would do your 'real amateur' stake. Are you a real amateur if you are retired? Married to a billionaire? A trustafarian? What if you work but only work 40 hours a week? Will there be separate stake for those of us who work 80 and above per week so we don't have to compete with the folks that can train after work?

Not like it was years ago, you need the time, you have to have the help, you have to have access to birds/flyers, you have to have money, can't drink frozen water too long, need decent training areas, etc., etc. I have been on both sides of the fence FC/AFC totally amateur trained struggled every day , another FC/AFC had pro enter picture a few winter trips, national finalist. What one would you want? Thump your chest and say I did it all by my lonesome, but, just couldn't make the dog "to be all they can be". Me thinks I would like to have all I can get! Oh by the way you have to have a good dog too! This amateur thing always amuses me, usually by those who haven't made the journey at a high level. It ain't easy.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Malarky View Post
    Need to keep searching for a better analogy. Most of the top amateur golfers are intensely pro trained, not unlike most dogs in the NARC. Just keeping it real...
    David Didier, GA