The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: NAFC!! Is there such an animal. A REAL AMATEUR TRAINED CHAMPION?

Thank you, Lanse, for your words on Ray Goodrich. Everything you have said about Mr. Goodrich is spot on. I have known him only as a handler for the past 12 years. Never a problem. Always there and ready to run before it is time to run his dog. Always gracious. As you said, a true GENTLEMAN. He is MR. GOODRICH and always will be to me and many others. He is due every respect. He has earned it.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by Erin O'Brien View Post
    There's been quite a few. I believe ken Neil trains his own, Dennis Bath, Newt Cropper. Sorry if my list isn't super accurate, just going by what I see and I could be wrong. Many more I'm sure though. Just because they run the open, doesn't mean they're being run by a pro. Lots of ams run in the open and nat'l open.
    kenny has someone start his dogs as puppies, and until this year has day trained with a pro. He spent many years with Alan pleasant, then Andy attar, and then Steve yoszamp. He is now training on his own. It is hard to day train with someone when you have as many dogs as Kenny.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I first met Mr Goodrich in 1974 coincidentally at the NARC in Sacramento when he and Rascal won..we had a Rascal sired dog named Rex along with Judge...Clint went out after the 7th series, Lanse went out after the 9th, as did Judy/Raider, Ken Cory/Coon, Tom Quinn/Anny, and Mr Crow/Pearl..Dana B/Paint were Finalists along with Gene Corona,Sal Gelardi

Mr Goodrich has always been a classy guy and a non pretentious gentleman in a sport dominated by blowhards and egomaniacs, on top of being a darn good dog trainer and handler of a dog that was arguably the gold standard of marking dogs during his lifetime

Mr Goodrich's inclusion to the RHOF is LONG overdue, I too will vote for him this year
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Hope Mr Goodrich is nominated and elected soon.
    is it true he'd do lining drills down rows of brussel sprout crops?
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by elingler View Post
    I don't have a dog running the NAFC but my dodoes have his HRCH UH and is one pass from his MH title has derby JAMS and we even walked to the line in a AM in a ft and wasn't embarrassed at all and he is 100% amateur trained and he is only my second dog I have ever owned. Yeah he might never be a FC or AFC but to me it's about the journey.
    cool story bro....
    HOLD FAST
    Winter is coming
    Duck hunters like other duck hunters at a Holiday party, cocktail hour or a school play..........they hate each other @ 5am

originally posted by elingler
    i don't have a dog running the nafc but my dodoes have his hrch uh and is one pass from his mh title has derby jams and we even walked to the line in a am in a ft and wasn't embarrassed at all and he is 100% amateur trained and he is only my second dog i have ever owned. Yeah he might never be a fc or afc but to me it's about the journey.

cool story bro....
    **** x2****
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    **** x2****
    HOLD FAST
    Winter is coming
    Duck hunters like other duck hunters at a Holiday party, cocktail hour or a school play..........they hate each other @ 5am

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Burns View Post
    Not sure about NAFC but in 2006 NFC-AFC Dr. Copper Phd. MH won the National with owner/trainer/handler Wayne Dodson. She was a hunt test dog, hunting companion, and amazing animal being amateur trained.
    Even Wayne trained regularly with pros during the summer in WI. Not taking anything away from Copper, she was a very nice dog but just the point that even the most "amateur" of trainers is significantly influenced by a pro(s) in most all cases.
    David Didier, GA

If you want to nominate an individual to the Retriever Hall of Fame you can do so by googling Retriever News Hall of Fame ballot - you can fill it out and send in. I'm afraid many are under the impression Ray Goodrich has been voted in and this is NOT the case. Please make a difference and fill out a ballot. I like many was unaware who he was. When I asked Judy Aycock about him she gave me permission to quote her and said "it is a travesty he is not in the hall of fame."
    Read Lanse's post for all the reasons why and I am sure there are even more. Find the ballot and nominate!!!
    Sylvia McClure
    Retrieve a Cure
    Home of:
    Belvedere's Jolly Jackson MH
    FC-AFC Hilltop's High Society
    QAA High Society's Bewitched
    QAA Trumarc's Mavis
    High Society's Hatari Rumble
    High Society's Courtesan

www.reelretrievers.com

Lauren Hays and Slider would qualify as a "true amateur" and has won numerous Opens against the pros as well as qualifying for (and making it to the last day of) the last two National Ams and the last National Open. They're also qualified for this year's National Open.