The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aggression during FF

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
    Too late for that if he sends the dog to the pro he loses the battle with the dog. So when the dog returns the dog knows that it is higher in the picking order and will run the owner. The dog will domanate the house. Tie off the dog at the head level and take control, show the dog that your the boss, or just get rid of the dog.
    Nonsence. See gundogs reply above
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post

If the dog is worked through FF by someone who knows what they are doing, it is possible that they might still think they were higher in the pack than their owner, but that probably only lasts until about the 2d ear pinch by the owner. I had to do some ear pinching myself to convince my dog that he had to do for me as he did for the pro who FFd him, but it took about twice for him to say "Holy crap, this guy means business too!"

JMHO, YMMV.
    I totally agree with this. "Loosing" a battle with the dog at one stage doesn't mean that dog is now and forever at the top of the pecking order, it's not that simple. There is a much greater danger in creating long term problems by stubbornly sticking with a do-it-yourself FF by someone who isn't good at it, than letting prudence being the better part of valor, knowing when you're in over your head and seeking professional help.
    Last edited by John Robinson; 06-19-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dangers View Post
    I believe he is 13 months.
    I've seen it happen with dogs over a year old, but never with a 6-7 mos old dog. Maybe I've just been lucky by FFing as soon as the pup's permanent teeth are in.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I totally agree with this. "Loosing" a battle with the dog at one stage doesn't mean that dog is now and forever at the top of the pecking order, it's not that simple. There is a much greater danger in creating long term problems by stubbornly sticking with a do-it-yourself FF by someone who isn't good at it, than letting prudence being the better part of valor, knowing when you're in over your head and seeking professional help.
    I gotta agree with Sharon and John ....This is far too important a time in the dog life to do a shoddy job...I have never had a inexperienced trainer get through this with out help and have a well forced dog in the end...All the talk about pecking order and dog dominance is way off in my opinion ...I've seen too many cases of the dog following orders when the owner gets the dog back ....If you are close enough to work with Sharon, you will be missing a great opportunity to learn about the total FF process if you don't take her up on her invite... Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

I would love to see what the definition of "aggression" is here. It sounds to me that the dog is just using an out mechanism that all dogs will to escape pressure. I think that a mountain is being made out of a molehill here and personally love to FF a dog like this because all you have to do is channel that bite to the bumper and the dog normally picks things up really fast. I do agree that if you lack the know how that you should send your dog to a pro but I don't believe this is a dominance or aggression issue, just a different response than some have seen in the handful of dogs that they have FF. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    I would love to see what the definition of "aggression" is here. It sounds to me that the dog is just using an out mechanism that all dogs will to escape pressure. I think that a mountain is being made out of a molehill here and personally love to FF a dog like this because all you have to do is channel that bite to the bumper and the dog normally picks things up really fast. I do agree that if you lack the know how that you should send your dog to a pro but I don't believe this is a dominance or aggression issue, just a different response than some have seen in the handful of dogs that they have FF. Just my opinion.

I agree it is not a dominance issue...I believe it is just a response to the pressure..I'll bite you because it hurts..( aggression). The dog is telling the handler don't do that again...Since the dog can't flight it only has one way to go and that is to fight, grab what ever is putting that pressure on them ....Some dogs are just more passive and stand there and yell ...As stated on here before ,you can put pressure on but you can't take it back off...This is why I recommend getting help..It takes experience to deal with a dog that has resorted to that kind of response to pressure....and not get bitten ...yet get the dog through the process...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

While I wouldn't choose to be in the OP's shoes *on purpose*, if it should happen to me I would love the opportunity to go see Sharon and learn a thing or two about FF.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    I agree it is not a dominance issue...I believe it is just a response to the pressure..I'll bite you because it hurts..( aggression). The dog is telling the handler don't do that again...Since the dog can't flight it only has one way to go and that is to fight, grab what ever is putting that pressure on them ....Some dogs are just more passive and stand there and yell ...As stated on here before ,you can put pressure on but you can't take it back off...This is why I recommend getting help..It takes experience to deal with a dog that has resorted to that kind of response to pressure....and not get bitten ...yet get the dog through the process...Steve S
    I agree as well. The bite response isn't directed as much at the person as it is at the discomfort...and it's easy to redirect. It's just learning the timing and taking advantage of the opportunity. I've only had a few that actually made it personal...one was at a seminar, and was pretty entertaining for the audience to watch the dog trying to do me bodily harm.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Spears View Post
    While I wouldn't choose to be in the OP's shoes *on purpose*, if it should happen to me I would love the opportunity to go see Sharon and learn a thing or two about FF.
    It's not my dog...........

Jay, my offer still stands for your friend's dog.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith