The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aggression during FF

I believe he is 13 months.

This is called a break through...more common to be done by Goldens. Two Key things. 1)Your friend needs to tie off the dogs head so it can't bite him. If you don't have a force fetch table. You can tie the dog off on a fence pole and continue FF. 2) Don't give up, don't let the dog win. COMPLETE FF!!!!!!!!!
    When you complete FF this will be a very giving dog and only want to please you.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dangers View Post
    How does one deal with aggression during ff? My buddy has a one that turns into a land shark!! You put him up the table and as soon as touch his ear to his collar, the theme music to jaws starts playing. Apply a little pressure and watch out!!

You can lead him around by his collar and he is fine, you can even rub his ears while holding his collar and he is ok.
    Was a couple years back I ran into a similar situation with- a Yella' dog, kinda' ironic He bit me.

First things first, someone mentioned that some pros wash out aggressive dogs- keep this in mind it was a good post.
    Also see post #10.

Didn't have to go to the Toe Hitch but it is an option. Found a couple things that were of my own errors- I was moving entirely too fast for the dog I was working with , so keep that in mind as something to consider.
    Secondly-
    Thot it might be a good idea to establish to the dog just exactly whos' the Alpha 'round here, (and who you can have some fun with too), since the dog had absolutely no leadership for quite some time prior to training.

3rd-
    There's no big rush, so take your time. Each dog is different on the ears, so the amount of pressure you exihibit on one that changes behavior, doesn't mean that sameamount of pressure will be applicable for the next dog.

Having control over the dogs' head is a MUST, no matter how you go about achieving it, and NO matter if the dog doesn't appear to be aggressive at the moment ,don't worry- as soon as there's pressure it changes.

Guess by now, your buddys' dog knows what's coming, so more than likely when you put your hand up there he clicks in the "mode".
    Use a wide flat collar so you'll have better control over the dogs' head, along with a possible overhead rig.

Don't cave in to the aggressiveness, and don't cave in to a Hollywood actress. However in terms of aggressiveness, would say one needs to know when it simply isn't do-able.
    Helps if the dog knows that FETCH means open your mouth and take an object before you even get on the table.
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

I use the toe hitch for agressive dogs on the ff table with a restraining cable. Having said that the only dog to bite me was a very gentile dog (HR Huck). We were doing walking fetch with the toe hitch. At the tug he reached over and bit me on the thigh. Nothing serious. I was more upset over the holes in the jeans than in me. I still tease the owner about this.

I have had a number of close calls and some were aggressive to the point that I put on leather gloves. A few times I have used a cable on the ground (similar to the ff table cable but only a foot or so off the ground) which keeps the dogs from getting to you on walking ff.

Hope this helps.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I think it might be a good idea to get a pro involved. If the guy is not experienced, i can't seem him utilizing the advice offered here. Go see Sharon, and think about leaving the pup there for as long as it takes.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I use the toe hitch for agressive dogs on the ff table with a restraining cable. Having said that the only dog to bite me was a very gentile dog (HR Huck). We were doing walking fetch with the toe hitch. At the tug he reached over and bit me on the thigh. Nothing serious. I was more upset over the holes in the jeans than in me. I still tease the owner about this.

I have had a number of close calls and some were aggressive to the point that I put on leather gloves. A few times I have used a cable on the ground (similar to the ff table cable but only a foot or so off the ground) which keeps the dogs from getting to you on walking ff.

Hope this helps.
    This is basically what I do. Toe hitch and a suspended barrel works wonders on aggressive.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    I think it might be a good idea to get a pro involved. If the guy is not experienced, i can't seem him utilizing the advice offered here. Go see Sharon, and think about leaving the pup there for as long as it takes.
    +1.
    That's a good idea.
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Too late for that if he sends the dog to the pro he loses the battle with the dog. So when the dog returns the dog knows that it is higher in the picking order and will run the owner. The dog will domanate the house. Tie off the dog at the head level and take control, show the dog that your the boss, or just get rid of the dog.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
    Too late for that if he sends the dog to the pro he loses the battle with the dog. So when the dog returns the dog knows that it is higher in the picking order and will run the owner. The dog will domanate the house. Tie off the dog at the head level and take control, show the dog that your the boss, or just get rid of the dog.
    I completely disagree. This is not about a battle between the owner and the dog or showing the dog who's boss, it is about the dog learning to understand training pressure, and it doesn't matter who applies it. What matters is the dog learning to understand it....and if the owner isn't experienced or comfortable enough to work the dog through it safely, going to a pro is a smart move.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith