The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Aggression during FF

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    I agree as well. The bite response isn't directed as much at the person as it is at the discomfort...and it's easy to redirect. It's just learning the timing and taking advantage of the opportunity. I've only had a few that actually made it personal...one was at a seminar, and was pretty entertaining for the audience to watch the dog trying to do me bodily harm.
    Nonething like being put on the spot to show what you are made of ... Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dangers View Post
    How does one deal with aggression during ff? My buddy has a one that turns into a land shark!! You put him up the table and as soon as touch his ear to his collar, the theme music to jaws starts playing. Apply a little pressure and watch out!!

You can lead him around by his collar and he is fine, you can even rub his ears while holding his collar and he is ok.
    My 2 cents (fwiw) to y'all.
    'How does one deal with aggression during 'anything' "?...This dog is just a pup! I wouldn't attempt to digress on any technique or corrective measure in the programme of FF' that would be foolish of me and perhaps foolish for the handler/trainer/owner?..Sounds like this one (like many 'puppies' in the pack) while mum looks after them all are a the sharpest knife in the box?
    Aggression (sometimes perceived as bite/snarl/bark/growl/lip curl etc) Is not actually aggression ?...More questions than answers?- Yup!..I also say take the dog to 'some-one' that say's they can sort it through your programme?..But please let us know how they do?
    http://www.polmaisegundogs.co.uk/beh...-training.html
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    Nothing like being put on the spot to show what you are made of ... Steve S
    Yep...but it all worked out. The dog was calmed down, aggression diffused, and things progressed nicely. However, I made a mistake when correcting the biting...one I didn't even realize until someone mentioned, as I was standing there talking, that I had blood dripping out of the thumb of my glove. Didn't get my thumb tucked all the way in as I was explaining to the dog that if it wanted to bite my hand, it was welcome to, but there would be a consequence to that action. Totally my fault, not the dog's. And the scar still reminds me to tuck in my thumb!
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Yep...but it all worked out. The dog was calmed down, aggression diffused, and things progressed nicely. However, I made a mistake when correcting the biting...one I didn't even realize until someone mentioned, as I was standing there talking, that I had blood dripping out of the thumb of my glove. Didn't get my thumb tucked all the way in as I was explaining to the dog that if it wanted to bite my hand, it was welcome to, but there would be a consequence to that action. Totally my fault, not the dog's. And the scar still reminds me to tuck in my thumb!
    Compliments Sharon,
    I would have thought the lesson would have been to stop talking,in that particular situation,rather than remind you to tuck your thumb in?Not being pedantic or argumentative. I have also been bitten with a west Highland terrier of all things! when taking my eye of the ball' as it were.Still, I never allowed that situation of confrontation of 'consequence'?,but hey If it worked?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was talking to the group AFTER I finished up with the dog.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Team Huntsmith

Interesting Sharon,?
    Ever tried EMDR? , the case/scenario of this 'pup' with the limited data and the absolute necessity to be hands on would be a sight for sure ?.with FF.

I'm thinking (after googling EMDR )that it's not something I'd try with a dog trying to bite. That'd be like trying it on a guy with a gun robbing a convenience store. The need for action is much more immediate than that therapy would allow.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Team Huntsmith

I'm thinking (after googling EMDR )that it's not something I'd try with a dog trying to bite. That'd be like trying it on a guy with a gun robbing a convenience store. The need for action is much more immediate than that therapy would allow.
    good old google.

Was it a dog off your truck or a dog you were not familiar with?

Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

It was an unfamiliar dog to me...5 yr. old Viszla. She first tried to bite her owner, which is when I stepped in.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Team Huntsmith