The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Dog Ear Hematoma

Default Dog Ear Hematoma

My dog recently had an ear hematoma(blood built up in right ear flap). One of my other dogs had one a few years back also. Both were moderate and not severe. Anyone know what causes ear hematomas for dogs? I have heard that if they shake their heads excessively it can cause one but my dog has not had any ear problems or head shaking prior to getting the hematoma? Just curious if there is any way to help prevent these from happening.

Also, the two types of treatment for this that I know of are:
    1. Making an incision in ear and draining fluid
    2. Putting dog on prednisone until fluid is gone.

Which would you suggest? I know the incision method was painful for my dog and since it is an open incision its not smart to train(especially in ponds) until incision has healed.
    Last edited by mja9346; 06-19-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Any trauma to the ear can result in this. Due to the way the ear is designed a break in a blood vessel will fill the chamber with blood. They are hard to resolve.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

My goldenetriever had a huge one last year. Usually caused by another dog nipping or even hitting the ear on the coffee table when head shaking. I just had it drained and wrapped for a week. After the bandages came off it filled up again about half the size. I let it go and it drained itself in a few days. Do the least invasive thing first and if that doesn't cure it work your way up.

Use a small gauge needle and syringe and suck the fluid out. You will probably have to do this several times. You can re-use the needle, just clean it first with alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by mja9346 View Post
    My dog recently had an ear hematoma(blood built up in right ear flap). One of my other dogs had one a few years back also. Both were moderate and not severe. Anyone know what causes ear hematomas for dogs? I have heard that if they shake their heads excessively it can cause one but my dog has not had any ear problems or head shaking prior to getting the hematoma? Just curious if there is any way to help prevent these from happening.

Also, the two types of treatment for this that I know of are:
    1. Making an incision in ear and draining fluid
    2. Putting dog on prednisone until fluid is gone.

Which would you suggest? I know the incision method was painful for my dog and since it is an open incision its not smart to train(especially in ponds) until incision has healed.
    Do a site search. This was covered in depth a while ago.

FWIW, my Riley dog had one and we used a cath taped to the ear to let it drain. Got plugged once, but it worked.

Search the site.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

My last golden (RIP) also had several ear hematomas. Usually caused by ear infections for him and him itching and shaking head. Also can be trauma related. I worked with a vet dermatologist who had me drain the hematoma then inject it with a tiny amount of steroid I think it was dexamethasone.
    Worked wonders, of course I had to also get ear infection cleared up so he'd stop traumatizing himself. I don't think you can prevent them if its a none ear infection issue. Dog scratches at ear can cause it.
    Opening it up and stitching it open is kinda old school. Wouldn't do it

Default ear

Quote Originally Posted by rammajamma View Post
    Use a small gauge needle and syringe and suck the fluid out. You will probably have to do this several times. You can re-use the needle, just clean it first with alcohol.

this is the way it has been handled in the past by my vet....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Did the the plastic drain thing, the one with the barbs that hold it in place. I forget exactly what it's called but it's a teat drain for pigs I think. Just a little slit in tip of ear and insert the drain, that's it. Vet injected Vetalog not Pred.
    (trim the center "stop" ring down to a smaller diameter. it stays in better)

Kept drain in ear for a few weeks. Milked it daily and wiped down with hydrogen peroxide.
    Worked out very well.
    Drain did come out once or twice but dog didn't pay much attention to it. I just put it alcohol and re-inserted it in the hole.
    If you have a dog with recurring ear infections you need to stay on top of it. In my case the hematoma came from head shaking when his ears were goobered up.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I have the drain tube in now. No training for three weeks.
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.