The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot weather training

Default Hot weather training

I recently moved to Houston for a job and this is my first summer down here with my dog. Down here it never really cools down below 80 degrees and is almost always more than 50% humidity.

We were working on double T and did about 5-8 retrieves. We called it quits and as we were walking back to the truck he appeared to loose coordination is his back legs. This scared the s*** out of me to say the least. I got him immediately home and hosed him down. Once cooled down everything was back to normal. I never want this to happen again and I am thinking of packing it in until it gets cooler outside which will not be until september. There are things I want to work with him on for the upcoming duck season obviously but it is not worth risking it. Is there anything I can do?
    Rocky's Last Chambered Shell-"Ruger"

Blackjack's Mighty Ace Under the Gun
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=84111

Those of us that have either lived or trained dogs in Texas dont train much during the summer, and if we do its at sun up...the hottest time of the day is usually 4pm-6pm. Its not worth losing a dog..if you have access to water, keep them in it,but anything more than a couple of retrieves is asking for trouble

just as important as keeping them out of the heat is helping them to cool off on the drive home, a wet dog in a hot dog box in the back of a truck/SUV without some sort of cooling or evaporation is a disaster waiting to happen, and the humidity in Houston is second to none
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Conditioning plays a huge part of training a dog down here in the summer months. I doubt September will be much different than August so you should find a training group with access to some deep water and start conditioning Ruger as soon as possible. Make sure you dry him off afterwards and stake out for final dry off. I use a synthetic chamy(sp) bought at the auto parts supply store 10 yrs ago. IMO, don't worry about D-T get single T down and move to S/B and taught water blinds;down the shore, channel,ect. in place of pattern blinds. Coming from Kansas I would also make sure all water is Lizard Free prior to starting your training day. Lizards are not just on the coast down here and heavy rains will push them further north than most realize. RTF is a great resource for new and old trainers, someone on the site has seen the problems you are sure to encounter so ask for help.

Welcome Aboard
    Raymond
    Just Win

In this heat, less if more. I usually get out and work my labs either a little after first light or around 7:30 or so in the evening.

I don't have the humidity but our summer temps are 100+ many days. We are at our spot waiting for the sun to come up. I prefer to err on the safe side, so we still keep it short.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Be careful of the water in July and August unless it is very deep and/or spring fed. When it is bath water that is actually worse on the dogs.

And you have about two hours to train at the crack of dawn.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

I suspect more than heat caused the back in to go Has he been tested for eic. before the test was available one of my dogs went down just as you said and I thought heat so i dumped all the water on him I had. then it happened agaim but I found out about the eic test and had him tested and he came back affected. So at least check his sire and dam and see if they have been tested. If not I would check it out.
    Clay
    Blue Skies Eye of the Storm MH
    Blue Skies Rags to Richs MH
    Blue Skies Travelin Man MH
    Blue Skies Snowy River Cruse SH
    Blue Skies Rough Rider Kate SH
    and all Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

Run your T on a smaller scale. I know that a lot of training methods say about a hundred yards but they are not talking about the summer in Texas. I have a very high rate of success training dogs on the double T at about 40-50 yards then moving to BB or pattern blinds to extend their distance. I think you will find you can get through this successfully without overheating your dog.
    Last edited by Tony Marshall; 06-21-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Acclamation to the heat takes time..Keep sessions shorter than normal...I don't recommend keeping dogs in the house ( temp controlled and humidity )if you are going to train in the heat...Outside in the shade and sometimes a fan to move the air helps...As mentioned training in a pond with the water temp at 95 or so is not cooling to the dog..It is like wrapping them in a blanket...Dogs heat up after training just sitting in a crate, be sure there is ventilation, wet or dry...a small crate fan on the door sure helps...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

It looks like you have gotten a lot of good advice. Shorter distances and fewer bumpers are what I do, as well as plenty of time to cool down between set-ups.

I also strongly second the EIC possiblilty if your dog has not been tested. Your description of what happened sounds a lot like my first expierence with EIC when Peyton had her first episode. It scared the $hit out of me as well. it is too important not to know.

Good luck,

Mark
    Mark, Peyton's Touchdown Pass (JH) and Peyton's Sun-loving Baby Bindi (Troublemaker)