The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blind planting

Default Blind planting

Couple questions about blind placement:

Are blinds ever planted in heavy cover so the dog has to get there and then dig out the bird?

Do judges ever ask the bird boy to toss the blind or does the BB always walk up and set it in place?
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

SR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus the "old ladies" (2 elderly mix-breed rescue girls)

No heavy cover, no tossing. (FT)
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    No heavy cover, no tossing. (FT)
    .....in the spirit of the same bird for every competitor. Marks are tossed & most times in heavy cover.
    David Didier, GA

I have seen blinds, in Field Trials, where a bird thrown out into the water in front of dogs, once they reached a predefined spot. Definately not the norm.
    -=#David

Well, this started off as a really interesting thread. Too bad we couldn't keep it that way. (Rick_C 2009, Classic RTF)
    __________________________________________________ _
    Take what you get and thank them (the Judges) afterwards no matter what the outcome. (Moira Sheehan)

So, another question: I've seen a few handlers at hunt tests who use a particular whistle, usually a rolling trill, when the dog is next to the blind. Not sure whether it is supposed to confirm to the dog that it's okay to pick up the bird or whether it's a "hunt it up" whistle. Is there any benefit to a special "end-of-blind" whistle?
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

SR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus the "old ladies" (2 elderly mix-breed rescue girls)

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    So, another question: I've seen a few handlers at hunt tests who use a particular whistle, usually a rolling trill, when the dog is next to the blind. Not sure whether it is supposed to confirm to the dog that it's okay to pick up the bird or whether it's a "hunt it up" whistle. Is there any benefit to a special "end-of-blind" whistle?
    This might occur when a dog over-runs a blind. It's a come-in whistle. The dog is first stopped with one short whistle blast, then a tweet-tweet-tweet, for the dog to come in.
    David Didier, GA

I use a hunt it up whistle at the blinds end & it works for me and my dogs. It is most beneficial when the dog stops a few feet upwind of the blind. An over cast will typically cause the dog to overshoot the bird & can cause a handling disaster at the end of an otherwise nice blind. My over cast coupled with a "hunt" whistle makes the dog slow down, look down and use its nose. Came in real handy at a Master test when the duck was placed on top of a stump. Traditional handling required multiple whistles to complete.
    Mark Land

Couple questions about blind placement:

Are blinds ever planted in heavy cover so the dog has to get there and then dig out the bird?

Do judges ever ask the bird boy to toss the blind or does the BB always walk up and set it in place?
    idk about asking the BB to toss one but i have seen a test where the BB was running across the road and tossing the duck at the stick in pretty heavy stuff. sometimes several feet away from stick
    Marty Lee
    HRCH Daisey's Rambunctious Rascal "Rambo"
    Co-Owner HRCH Summers Gusty Breeze "Gussie"

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Lee View Post
    idk about asking the BB to toss one but i have seen a test where the BB was running across the road and tossing the duck at the stick in pretty heavy stuff. sometimes several feet away from stick
    I have seen that also. That usually requires me getting out of my chair & having a meeting of the minds with that particular bird boy.
    Mark Land

The only time i plant blinds in heavy is when the dog can be sean leaving area soon. Dont train in no see cover