The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water intake in the heat

Default Water intake in the heat

I live and train in Southern VA and also train in NC/SC. High heat and humidity in the summer, though not as bad as Florida.

I have a girl that is a light drinker as in barely drinks. Any suggestions for how to get her to drink more in this weather during/after workouts? Pedialyte added to water?

She BARELY drinks after working. This weekend, Sat - Mon, she barely touched her water and we trained off an on all weekend at a workshop. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing...but normally I would expect to see more. No dehydration or symptoms of heat stroke. Yukon where crates are is cool with fans and shade cloth.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Put some glycocharge in it. She will drink it all: http://www.lcsupply.com/Glycocharge/productinfo/GLY/

We live in MD with hot, humid weather from late spring until mid fall. I had a dog dehydrate on a early spring day a few years ago,low temps and low humidity, but just didn't drink enough. At my vet's suggestion, I bought Wyler's low sodium chicken bouillon crystals and mixed 1/4 teaspoon full into his water bucket (1/2 of a 2qt. bucket) on training days. He loved it. In fact, he wanted to drain his bucket, so I went to less water (1/4 of the bucket) and refilled as needed.

The bouillon is cheap and easy to store. We've had no more issues with low water intake.

Laurie

Mine doesn't seem to drink much either, especially if there is excitement. I leave the water in the crate, and she seems to drink when we are away from the excitement.

When I get worried, I feed her canned food, so at least she gets moisture that way.
    Renee P

I have been using rehydrate the last few years with good success, dogs love it and its easy to store as it comes in pill form and you just have to dissolve it in their water. Its pretty much a Gatorade for dogs, it's fairly cheap also.
    Rankin' Retrievers

I have one that does the same, I just get her in and cool down. She drinks when she wants never had an issue with hydration.

Consider putting a little Gatorade in the water. Just enough to change the color a little. I have noticed a huge increase in water intake in all my client dogs since doing this. Also you can pre hydrate by floating their food in water. That way they have to drink when they eat.

Put lots of water in their feed morning and night

I'll second the water in the feed, especially if you have a hasty eater. If you have a slow eater the water disolves the food somewhat and makes a mess, some dogs don't like the mushy food.

Man, I've got the opposite problem. I've got a 16 week old pup that drinks and drinks and drinks and drinks and drinks and drinks. Sometimes he drinks till he pukes, and then he'll go drink some more.
    "Somehow this creature has completed my manhood; somehow, I cannot explain why, a man ought to have a dog. A man ought to have six legs; those other four legs are part of him." -G.K. Chesterton

http://www.facebook.com/pennyretrievers