The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blind planting

Quote Originally Posted by BBnumber1 View Post
    I have seen blinds, in Field Trials, where a bird thrown out into the water in front of dogs, once they reached a predefined spot. Definately not the norm.
    That is really weird! Was the location of the blind one that would be hard to access for a blind planter and this the only way to get it out there? Or maybe there was another reason or question the judges were asking that I don't get. I'd love to hear a little more about this one!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

It's not that weird. It's a pop up blind and used often in training and occasionally in a trial. When used in a trial, it's typically on a water blind and there is not a good place to put the bird boy or plant the blind. So, for instance, the judges may say "If you get the cast off of that 3rd point out to sea and the dog is still under control, rather than watch him swim another 500 yards, we will toss a bird out to him.". I doubt this is really what the OP was talking about, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    That is really weird! Was the location of the blind one that would be hard to access for a blind planter and this the only way to get it out there? Or maybe there was another reason or question the judges were asking that I don't get. I'd love to hear a little more about this one!
    An example Iíve seen a couple times in an Open was where the dog had swam a couple hundred yards, on and off a couple points and the last cast was off the point out into what appeared to the dog to be another mile of water.

Once the dog took the cast off that point, demonstrating commitment, the bird is thrown by a hidden thrower out into the water in front of the dog. Fun to watch.

JS

PS: that Kyle B is a pretty smart guy!!
    ďDonít wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.Ē Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

My thoughts on planting blinds.

Training
    In training I typically like the bumpers/birds fairly easy to see. The goal of a good blind is to teach the dog to fight factors in route to the blind, not make them climb a tree, dig a hole, fight brush right at the end. Too many hunt test trainers put together relatively simple blinds then put the bird in an impossible spot at the end. I want dogs to run hard, fight factors and get the big reward at the end for doing those things. Blinds are a test of control from the mat to the bird, not just the last 10 yards.

Judging
    A good blind has a beginning, middle, end. Each segment should have at least one factor showing the dogs control/trainability. The bird should be placed in a spot that doesn’t allow the dog to see it until he’s is right there and promotes control clear to the end. It should also be in a spot that has good visibility so that I as a judge can see what happens. Too often I see blinds placed where the dog goes out of sight on a blind at the end, then after being out of site for awhile the dog suddenly appears with the bird. There is no way to judge that.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Thanks Kyle and JS! Looks like it might be fun to run as well as watch.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com