The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Intoxication?

I talked to the vet again today. Both in her original diagnosis and now she is pretty insistent that it was not Bloat..."no signs of Bloat".

Yep...I would do anything to take back running that last series...but, I watched her closely, I gave her some time, we ran another dog and I watched how she acted while the dog ran. Everything appeared normal before I ran her again.

In other species (cats, cattle) where "water intoxication" is more common, its usually related to profound dehydration that results in shifts in electrolytes, like sodium. I've seen it in cattle that were kept (accidentally) without water, and then had access... they engorged on the water and were profoundly neurologic from the massive electrolyte shift. I'd be suprised, assuming your dog was well hydrated when she started the day, that water intoxication would be the problem.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

I have a 7 year old male labrador (now retired from competition) who on occasion would barf up white foamy stuff. He is highly excitable and ran at 100 mph so I attributed it to temproary overheating - he usually took longer than other dogs to cool down. On the occasion when the white foamy stuff was laced with blood I took him to the vet. We were referred to an internist for a possible laringyl issue but the internist took one look at his xrays and referred us to a cardiologist. His heart was enlarged which is very common in field dogs but the cardilolgist was able to hear a 'murmur' which neither of the other vets heard. An ekg revealed a moderate tricuspid valve leak and a small mitral valve leak (hence the retirement from competition). The tricuspid valve is the big issue - the blood does not get pumped out of the upper chamber of his heart and he sounds all congested. (On longish swims he sounds like he cannot get enough air.) I can't say for sure that the barfing of white foamy stuff was a result of the heart malfunction but it got me on the path to a proper diagnosis. I couldn't hurt to have a full work up by an internist if you have any more issues/ On the other hand I have seen a few dogs who injest water while swimming and their owners are very careful about not feeding before training- no point in putting any more bulk in his stomach. Maybe stake out after working and keep an eye on him - no rolling over on his back, etc............

Jeanne Fowler
    Vista,CA

Have your vet check her eyes, or refer you to someone who can....hope all is well from here on out....
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Quote Originally Posted by pupaloo View Post
    Have your vet check her eyes, or refer you to someone who can....hope all is well from here on out....
    agreed, I'd go in for a full workup so nothing is missed; bloodwork, xrays, urine sample, etc....also, as said above, eye exam as well
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Quote Originally Posted by jecartag View Post
    agreed, I'd go in for a full workup so nothing is missed; bloodwork, xrays, urine sample, etc....also, as said above, eye exam as well
    Yesterday we provided blood for:
    > Thyroid Panel (complete)
    > Cortisol #800
    > Tick/Vector Comprehensive Panel #2870

Check eyes? How are the eyes related to this? I must have missed something.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

She is having trouble marking, which is new since this happened, and continuing after a couple weeks. Overheating can do all kinds of damage. It would be nice to know if her vision is compromised, or if perhaps it is a neurological or memory problem, before assuming it is a training problem. My dog's dam overheated once when she was a young dog, and she got very grey the next year, but was otherwise fine.
    Marlana Smith

Quote Originally Posted by pupaloo View Post
    She is having trouble marking, which is new since this happened, and continuing after a couple weeks. Overheating can do all kinds of damage. It would be nice to know if her vision is compromised, or if perhaps it is a neurological or memory problem, before assuming it is a training problem. My dog's dam overheated once when she was a young dog, and she got very grey the next year, but was otherwise fine.
    Overheating is something that I have definitely considered. I can't tell you what the water temperature was, or if it was warm/hot, but I do know that the night before it was actually cool/comfortable outside. It was not humid. I know this because we had camped out the night before and it was one of the few nights where it was comfortable enough to not need to run a fan.

She did spend most of the day before at a HT in the truck. The truck was parked in the shade. She never showed any signs of overheating or dehydration when I got her out of the truck. In the afternoon when it got hot I ran the truck AC.

I really appreciate all the input!
    Last edited by Eric VA; 06-22-2013 at 01:51 PM.

You might not ever really know, now. Stuff happens, even when we think we are doing the right things, or when we do things the way we always have that have always been fine. I don't KNOW she overheated-it just sounds like the most likely thing to me from what had been typed here. This is the internet, you get what you pay for ) She sounds like a talented dog-if she was mine and her marking was that noticeably off, I would check a few things out...good luck!
    Marlana Smith