The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Water Intoxication?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    As a current paramedic, I will tell you that water intoxication is BS. In any mammal, water is only absorbed into the body through the intestines, not the stomach. Everything that is ingested hangs out in the stomach so the body can start to digest it and see if there are any nutrients to be had. Then it must go through the pyloric sphincter into the intestines before it is absorbed. Furthermore, it would take a helluva lotta water to cause electrolyte abnormalities that were stated above. There is absolutely no way that this could be the case in the time frame that you're talking about.
    For some reason I am getting lots of questions about water intoxication this summer. Finally did a search for something other than anecdotes and found this from the Journal of Biological Chemistry: http://www.jbc.org/content/63/1/61.full.pdf+html from *1925* but I doubt chemistry or biology has changed much since then Conclusion? It does happen but it takes A LOT of water, 50cc per kg of body weight! [cautionary note: the vivid description of the induced symptoms in the dogs is hard to stomach but they all do recover]

Just read the thread, noticed it's about a month old, I'd check the dogs adrenal function, poor adrenal function affect homeostasis/dogs ability to regulate body temperature, also energy level, increased intake of water, excessive white-foamy drooling, drunkenness and a bunch of strange-owner described "just not right" behavior. More common in Females; Addisons (the great pretender) or Crushing both adrenal conditions, often hard to diagnosed, as symptoms come and go, symptoms are often mistaken for other conditions. Until there's a crisis, which is most often how dogs are diagnosed. Blood work is mostly normal unless they catch it at a time when electrolytes are out of wack (high/low sodium, phos. Ca etc). Something to look into Hope the dog doing well, I doubt Water intoxication, but when dogs uptake a bunch of water there's usually an underling cause. Might want to keep an electrolyte sol'n in you med-kit, that can bring a depressed dog around very quickly, if an electrolyte sol'n seems to work miracles, definitely look at the adrenals.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-22-2013 at 06:11 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Check eyes? How are the eyes related to this? I must have missed something.
    Doing a fundic exam by looking in the eyes can tell you a lot of info about the rest of the body and whether there is evidence of infectious agent (fungal granule a, et) or retinal hemorrhage secondary to hypertension.
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Eric, sorry about all this happening and Kathy & I send our best wishes for your dog. Hope everything turns out and things go back to normal for her.

3 weeks after original incident everything was back to normal and she has been fine since...marking as well as she did before.
    We took it very slowly getting back...taking time off from training, starting w/ simple singles and slowly progressing.
    All medical testing continued to come back normal but we do have one more test to get run...the ACTH challenge for Addison's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Just read the thread, noticed it's about a month old, I'd check the dogs adrenal function, poor adrenal function affect homeostasis/dogs ability to regulate body temperature, also energy level, increased intake of water, excessive white-foamy drooling, drunkenness and a bunch of strange-owner described "just not right" behavior. More common in Females; Addisons (the great pretender) or Crushing both adrenal conditions, often hard to diagnosed, as symptoms come and go, symptoms are often mistaken for other conditions. Until there's a crisis, which is most often how dogs are diagnosed. Blood work is mostly normal unless they catch it at a time when electrolytes are out of wack (high/low sodium, phos. Ca etc). Something to look into Hope the dog doing well, I doubt Water intoxication, but when dogs uptake a bunch of water there's usually an underling cause. Might want to keep an electrolyte sol'n in you med-kit, that can bring a depressed dog around very quickly, if an electrolyte sol'n seems to work miracles, definitely look at the adrenals.
    Thanks for all the info. As stated in my previous reply ACTH is on the list of tests to get run.
    Do you have an electrolyte solution that you would recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric VA View Post
    3 weeks after original incident everything was back to normal and she has been fine since...marking as well as she did before.
    We took it very slowly getting back...taking time off from training, starting w/ simple singles and slowly progressing.
    All medical testing continued to come back normal but we do have one more test to get run...the ACTH challenge for Addison's.
    Good to hear!
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric VA View Post
    Thanks for all the info. As stated in my previous reply ACTH is on the list of tests to get run.
    Let us know how it turns out, I lost a dog to Addison crisis, really blind-sided me, as it seemed to come out of Nowhere, but looking back had a bunch of little symptoms, as you described "just not right" being the most noteworthy.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-24-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)