The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: force fetch issue on the ground

Default force fetch issue on the ground

I'm working with a blf that is about 6-7 months old. Obedience is done and I have been working ff on the table. Everything has been doing fine on the table she will hold a bumper all day long with out dropping it, say the word fetch and she snatches it up. she doesnt have the "search factor" of other dogs ive worked with if i put it behind her she doesnt usually turn completely around to look for it but pre force fetch she would hunt a bumper just as well as my finished 2 yr old blm so im not too concerned there. I took her to ff on the ground and the first night she did great. Say fetch and she would bolt to the bumper, spin into heel position just like she should. The next session last night she would do just like before only drop the bumper after locking into a heel. If I apply pressure with the collar she just yelps and looks up into the air by my side. I have stair stepped the collar for appropriate pressure and one level will have no effect and the next level will spark a good yelp. not a defective collar i've tested it one level at a time on my hand. from day one she had tried to assert dominance over me and is definitley a patience tester. Ive spent two weeks pulling her out of the kennel and just laying on her and getting up and she will continue to lay there until i say "break" this made a vast improvement in her obedience and performance on the ff table. She will hold the bumper if i say hold but she will stay in one spot. When I call her to heel she heels then drops it. Im thinking that she is confusing pressure to hold the bumper and pressure for obedience and she thinks she is being pressured to stay at heel and not to fetch. Even on the command "fetch" she still ignores it even though if i kick the bumper around for a while saying fetch she will pick it up then return to heel position and drop it. Ive never had any problems with obedience where I had to use pressure to remain at heel her obedience is flawless. But I'm drawing a blank on this one guys.
    "if it flies it dies.....if it sits there, it dies too" - Phil Robertson

Sometimes there is problems when we start to combine commands or actions...This sounds like one of these moments...Try moving with the dog as it goes for the bumper, after the pick up take a step or so and say sit...If the dog drops the bumper I would just say fetch and if no response, pinch ear and repeat command..Try again...Sometimes just doing a sit heel drill with a bumper in the mouth is all that is need to resolve the issue...If the dog will hold and walk..If not back up a step and get this in place...Break the actions down into little segments...start with just a straight walk and sit , repeat...then add the finish if the dog will hold the bumper then add the fetch portion...I would avoid as much pressure as I could to avoid the confusion factor getting in the mix...I would emphasis the hold command not the fetch or ob until things fall in place...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Maybe I didn't read it right but it sounds like you went from the table to actually sending the dog out for a bumper "the first night she would bolt out to the bumper" When I move to the ground it is the same as the table. I have my hand on collar and ear and hold bumper right in front then proceed to lower it each time until on the ground,just like you did on table. After that's done then I hold it out farther and farther until they are moving forward a little to get it. Next I do walking fetch with the dog at heel so if there is a refusal I can get right on them. Maybe you are father along. I almost always have some sort of issue when moving to the ground and that's why unless I have a real high strung wiggle worm I don't use the table anymore.

I like all of the suggestions above.
    As she is coming around into the heel position, see if you can meet her with your hand in front of the mouth. Don't let her drop that bumper. If you can prevent the drop a few times, I think she will get the picture.

Did you ever do walking hold to train the dog to do here heel and sit with the bumper in mouth? You didn't mention it and it is a vital step.