The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Tri Tronics repairs

  1. #1
    Senior Member txrancher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NE Texas & NC coast
    Posts
    275

    Default Tri Tronics repairs

    I just got off the phone with Tri Tronics and was really disappointed to learn they don't repair their Pro 500 G2 transmitters. So I call Collar Clinic to find out they couldn't repair the Pro 500 G2 or G3 transmitters. The good news is that Tri Tronics indicated they could possibly repair the Pro 500 G3 transmitter. If I had known this was the case I definitely would not have purchased a Pro 100 G3 2 weeks ago, they would have very likely lost a long time customer. So unless you are needing batteries for these pricey transmitters you are probably up the creek without the proverbial paddle.


    If it needs fixing trash it!
    Last edited by txrancher; 06-21-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    I ignore stupidity unless you bring it to my attention!
    Crystal Coast Labradors

    CCL Return To Sender
    N Sana Te

  2. #2
    Senior Member Gun_Dog2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mohawk Valley
    Posts
    8,642

    Default

    So, what did they recommend? Dogtra?

    /Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

    Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

    https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

  3. #3
    Senior Member txrancher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NE Texas & NC coast
    Posts
    275

    Default

    to buy another TT transmitter
    I ignore stupidity unless you bring it to my attention!
    Crystal Coast Labradors

    CCL Return To Sender
    N Sana Te

  4. #4
    Senior Member badbullgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    somewhere between Boca Grande and Mims
    Posts
    7,055

    Default

    Could it be the cost to repair is just so high it comes close to the cost of a new transmitter? I know my local electronics repair shop charges $75/hour for labor. Not sure what a new transmitter runs, but two hours of labor may not be out of the question add in parts and the difference may be so little that it is not worth it to them.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

  5. #5
    Senior Member txrancher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NE Texas & NC coast
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Could it be the cost to repair is just so high it comes close to the cost of a new transmitter? I know my local electronics repair shop charges $75/hour for labor. Not sure what a new transmitter runs, but two hours of labor may not be out of the question add in parts and the difference may be so little that it is not worth it to them.
    They didn't indicate why but I'm pretty sure it is easier and cost less to manufacture than to diagnose and repair. Another thing to consider is the number of receivers that you will have without a transmitter, so I guess they kind of have you over a barrel. My advice is be prepared and hold on to the barrel real tight?
    I ignore stupidity unless you bring it to my attention!
    Crystal Coast Labradors

    CCL Return To Sender
    N Sana Te

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Boston, GA
    Posts
    2,605

    Default

    These things change so fast it's always a good idea to check repairability before purchasing any used equipment. Maybe some of the Garmin is starting to have an effect at TT.
    Tom Dorroh

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    I just checked with TT customer service and here is what I have.
    Txrancher is correct in stating that TT does not repair G2 products. They have been out of production since intro of G3 in 2009. If they were still repairing G2 products the cost is $120.
    If he were to send in his G2 transmitter and $120, TT will send him a factory refurbished G3 unit that will come with a 6 month factory warranty.
    The receivers he currently owns will work correctly with either G2 or G3 transmitter.
    So for $120 he could (if they still had parts) get a unit repaired that is no longer in production or for the same $120 that would have to be spent any way, get a G3 unit.
    Also. if he were to send in his G2 unit and purchase a NEW G3 transmitter, there would be a 10% discount off the price on the NEW G3 unit that would come with a new factory warranty of 2 years.
    All in all, does not sound like TT is doing a bad job. Perhaps the CS rep. did not explain all of the options to him.
    TT usually gets very good reviews on products and service so I have to think this experience is out of the ordinary.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

  8. #8
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    I just checked with TT customer service and here is what I have.
    Txrancher is correct in stating that TT does not repair G2 products. They have been out of production since intro of G3 in 2009. If they were still repairing G2 products the cost is $120.
    If he were to send in his G2 transmitter and $120, TT will send him a factory refurbished G3 unit that will come with a 6 month factory warranty.
    The receivers he currently owns will work correctly with either G2 or G3 transmitter.
    So for $120 he could (if they still had parts) get a unit repaired that is no longer in production or for the same $120 that would have to be spent any way, get a G3 unit.
    Also. if he were to send in his G2 unit and purchase a NEW G3 transmitter, there would be a 10% discount off the price on the NEW G3 unit that would come with a new factory warranty of 2 years.
    All in all, does not sound like TT is doing a bad job. Perhaps the CS rep. did not explain all of the options to him.
    TT usually gets very good reviews on products and service so I have to think this experience is out of the ordinary.
    MP
    Great explanation of the options available, Mike! Thanks!
    Bill Davis

  9. #9
    Senior Member jacduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    These things change so fast it's always a good idea to check repairability before purchasing any used equipment. Maybe some of the Garmin is starting to have an effect at TT.
    Unfortunately true. I bought an expensive GPS for truckers to use in our Motohome. First update it crashed. After many hours on the phone they won. I finally gave up swallowed the $400 plus loss along with the cost of the lifetime updates and quit. Never once did they offer to have me return the unit, just kept saying to go online and update again. Garmin will NEVER get any business from me again. That is the short of a very long detailed story.
    John C aka jacduck


    "Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

  10. #10
    Senior Member txrancher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NE Texas & NC coast
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    I just checked with TT customer service and here is what I have.
    Txrancher is correct in stating that TT does not repair G2 products. They have been out of production since intro of G3 in 2009. If they were still repairing G2 products the cost is $120.
    If he were to send in his G2 transmitter and $120, TT will send him a factory refurbished G3 unit that will come with a 6 month factory warranty.
    The receivers he currently owns will work correctly with either G2 or G3 transmitter.
    So for $120 he could (if they still had parts) get a unit repaired that is no longer in production or for the same $120 that would have to be spent any way, get a G3 unit.
    Also. if he were to send in his G2 unit and purchase a NEW G3 transmitter, there would be a 10% discount off the price on the NEW G3 unit that would come with a new factory warranty of 2 years.
    All in all, does not sound like TT is doing a bad job. Perhaps the CS rep. did not explain all of the options to him.
    TT usually gets very good reviews on products and service so I have to think this experience is out of the ordinary.
    MP
    Mike, if this had been what was told to me I would not have indicated differently. I only relayed the info I was given, sorry I didn't realize I needed an attorney to question the TT Rep further? If the CS rep had explained to send the G2 transmitter back along with $120 and they would send me a refurbished G3 with 180 day warranty it would have been shipped today. I've been using TT since the 80's and up until today would not have purchased anything else, but I thought it was info that should be passed on to others that are entertaining the idea of purchasing a TT product. I wasn't real happy to find out the units are not repairable, sounded as if I was holding 2 transmitters that should be trashed only to spend $600 for 2 more basically just like them. I will let you know how it goes
    I ignore stupidity unless you bring it to my attention!
    Crystal Coast Labradors

    CCL Return To Sender
    N Sana Te

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •