The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first brown dog

Default My first brown dog

And so the adventure begins . . .

In several weeks, we will be picking us a female Chesapeake Bay Retriever puppy and we couldn't be more excited. For months I have been lurking in the shadows of RTF and thought it was time to pop out and say a big hello! Also, a big thank you! This community has been a wonderful resource already. I hope to contribute as well as receive.

A little bit about me. I grew up in a land time forgot. Horses, cattle, chickens, dogs and cats. I spent a large part of my youth in the saddle, and even riding in rodeos when I was 15 lol

It has been more than a decade since I have been in that environment and about a decade since my last dog . . . a Dobie (the best girl ever).

I know that Chessie's are a breed apart; they have their own specialties and peculiarities. As is often cited on this website, they are not brown labs. And I plan on being ready and dedicated. I have decided on Bill Hillman's "Training a Retriever Puppy." I believe in picking a system and following it religiously. I did that with my Dobie and obedience work.

I would like to leave with a question for everyone.

What program (book or DVD series) do you recommend for Basic Obedience? That is a very important part of owning a dog, as I will only be hunting a dozen or so times a year!! The dog will be in the house and at my work 365 lol So I am really looking to focus heavily on that.

Is that covered in the Hillmann DVD series? Or is there another obedience resource for Day 1 with pup? For instance, house training, crate training, sit, stay, etc….

Thanks again so much for building a vibrant and wonderful community. Sorry for the ramble. I feel like I either don’t say enough or too much J

P.s. I am in Harford County MD

John

Ok..Guess not lol Thanks

for basic crate training and some other puppy go to right side of homepage at dogtrainersworkshop.com and download the PDF's.
    for basic what to do with retriever puppy go to ybsmedia.com and buy Sound Beginings dvd.
    for advanced what to do with a puppy get Bill Hillman's puppy dvd.
    more later.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I have a 3 mos. Ches. puppy and we are following the Hillman puppy DVD. I think you'll find it has most of what you need as the basis for basic obedience and that is teaching a rock solid sit. In the DVD he explains that he does not teach the recall til the sit is solid, but I start teaching recalls to pups, in fact I imprint them to come to the whistle as soon as their eyes and ears open. Remember with a Chesapeake pup, early/lots of socialization is mandatory, especially if you live on a farm. I take nearly all mine to a local kennel club for obedience classes as pups, mostly to proof the stuff we do at home in a group setting, and for the socialization. Take the pup everywhere you can and expose it to as many things as you can when it's little and you'll be fine.

Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Easiest and yet the best book I've read to date is the 10 minute retriever.
    Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.

Congratulations on your puppy and welcome to RTF!
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

Welcome. Being a horse person you should get along just fine with a Chessie- Here is another great resource for the Chessie owner. You can get advice that doesn't include all the "down-wind" comments

http://teamchesapeake.infopop.cc/groupee/forums

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    for basic crate training and some other puppy go to right side of homepage at dogtrainersworkshop.com and download the PDF's.
    Fantastic! This reminded me a lot of the type of training I did in the past. Thanks for putting me back on track.

Remember with a Chesapeake pup, early/lots of socialization is mandatory,
    Thanks for the further confirmation of Hillmann. I look forward to using that system. Also, from reading the forums I have made socialization a top priority.

Chris Meyer
    Easiest and yet the best book I've read to date is the 10 minute retriever.
    Just ordered it. This book seems to get mentions time and time again. I am only checking the tracking every 5 seconds online lol

And thanks to everyone else for the welcomes!! Picture to be posted when pup arrives.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    You can get advice that doesn't include all the "down-wind" comments
    Your dogs are good.The downwind part was for you, I've been in a holding blind gunning with you. Must a been the burritos.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice ***
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy

PS
    In case you didn't know not too far to the north, northeast, east and southeast of you live a good number of highly knowledgable Chessie people. Ask on here if you need to hook up with any of them, and you're gonna' want to.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie