The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first brown dog

John, welcome to board. Sometimes a post gets overlooked; if no one responds right away it disappears down the list. Good thing you bumped up your post, now you're getting somewhere! This board is a great resource, as is Team Chesapeake. I envy you the opportunity to own chessies right in the area where they originated, nothing more poetic than a chessie swimming in the Chesapeake Bay!

I used the Hillman puppy dvd with our last puppy and really liked it, we'll use it again.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Look for the Shaws and Tim Carrion. Chessie people to say the least. They will never lead you wrong. And go to the chessie field specialty in North Carolina this year and enter the puppy stake and say hello.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Congrats on the pup and ditto on Moscowitz

John
    congrats on your new brown dog! I just lost my chessie Hurricane Abbygale Abbygale of Creekside MH***. Abby was qualifyed all age in both USA and Canada and a MH with a fourth placement in the Open and a Jam in the Am. She passed the MN and was a very good upland hunter. Pheasants were her favorit bird she just loved the little stinkers. People will tell you all kinds of things about Chessies but you will have one of the finest hunting dogs of your life. Make her part of the family and train her with respect and love. Your rewards will be great.
    Good Luck
    Warren Price
    Last edited by rookie; 06-26-2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: title
    w. price

Pam Spears: I envy you the opportunity to own chessies right in the area where they originated, nothing more poetic than a chessie swimming in the Chesapeake Bay!
    Well said Pam. That was part of the charm in choosing a Chessie. The fact that I was born and raised in MD almost guaranteed the Chesapeake Bay Retriever was going to get a long and hard look. The longer I looked, the harder I looked, I couldn't turn away. Now one is right around the corner

moscowitz
    Look for the Shaws and Tim Carrion. Chessie people to say the least. They will never lead you wrong. And go to the chessie field specialty in North Carolina this year and enter the puppy stake and say hello.
    Thanks for the connection. I was able to find Tim Carrion on here and read some of his posts/responses. It's obvious he knows his stuff. Thanks for the invite...would be fun.

Beamer81
    Congrats on the pup
    Thank you. I am trying not to think about it too much, like every day all day lol I do have work and a family.

Warren Price: She passed the MN and was a very good upland hunter.
    Sorry for your loss. I sometimes, now that I am a bit older, think of new things with the end in mind. That is part of the reason I started the post with "the adventure beginnings." There is a beginning, a middle, and an end. And I want to enjoy all of it. I miss my old dog still to this day! I remember the first time she nuzzled me when I was there "picking" my dog from the litter. And I remember being by her side right at the end. It can be sad, very sad. But what an adventure.

I love upland hunting. But I live in MD. I have to travel to do it. A small part of the decision for a Chessie was their versatility to be both water and land hunting dog.

Well...the pup has arrived Welcoming Kallisto!! Thought I would post a few pics.

First is the obligatory trip to PetSmart

Petsmart Photo.jpg

Playing with toys from PetSmart

Rope Toy Pic.jpg

My question: Does the toy box also count as a toy? Kallisto says yes!

Toy Box Pic.jpg

Love your pup's expression and obvious "brown" sense of fun. Hope the entire ride is as joyful as what is seen in these pics.

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post
    This, the Specialty event will make you feel right at home and welcome. Good fun for your pup to.

John

That's a great looking pup!! Have fun!
    Redstars Hayseed Bo ..... "Butch"

She is lovely! But man, a WHITE carpet????? Maybe its just a Chessie thing, but my Scout has always considered the box the very best toy. Just this morning he took off with our Pelican box that holds the remotes for our launchers. He usually carries it in from the field for us and I guess he just decided that by racing around the yard with it I might take him training. You are in for so much fun, no dogs have the character and sense of humor that these nappy dogs do!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com