The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair but tough test or tricking the dogs?

Default Fair but tough test or tricking the dogs?

Can some one help me understand the difference between all three (fair, Tough, Tricking) and scenoarios.
    Thanks, Brad

unfair test : dog disappears from sight from the handler only to re appear off line....out of sight, out of the trial

trick/unfair : a trend of planting a blind in places not normally found, such as at the foot of the bird boy

a wipeout flyer could also be considered a trick by some

bird placement is an art that usually separates the great judges from the average ones
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Fair but tough test is any test my dog passes.
    Unfair test/tricking the dogs is any test he fails .

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

I think most tough tests are also fair. I don't consider a trick test tough, just unfair. Trick test - dropping a short bird behind a bush or tree where the dog can't see the fall and putting a longer bird almost in line. Unfair would be retiring a close gun while the birds are still going down. Putting the blind planter where the dog has to pass them to get to the blind. Having a portion of your blind where your dog is completely out of sight while on line.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

I would say that this question is going to open up a lot of discussion. The problem with all of this is perception. If you keep a few things in mind it will help you sort out a lot of questions in your mind.

First, you have to understand that judges are dog trainers too. Whether pro or amateur, they have trained a dog or two in their lifetime and generally know a little about the subject and, therefore, know exactly how you have trained for the level that you are testing for and will set up tests accordingly. This may mean that the test is within the guidelines but they are aware that not everyone has trained for the situation. A good example of this would be a judge that sets out a whole spread of full body snows at a junior test. Fair? It's within the rules. Do they know that it will be a separator for the people that haven't trained for it? Sure they do.

Secondly, according to the rules the judges decision is final. That means that if the club or the organization doesn't have a problem with it, then it's fair. End of story. We in the gallery may disagree, but ultimately it's not up to us. What is up to us is whether or not we choose to participate. I have been to a large percentage of tests that the test dog would have undeniably failed but the setup wasn't changed. Is that fair? Maybe not but, see above.

Last, not all tests are easy and you are not going to pass all of them. That doesn't make them unfair. Nothing in life worth doing is easy. The goal of tests is to bring to light the dogs with true talent and trainability. This is for a lot of reasons. If you get the mindset not that the test was unfair, but that you want to train harder in order to spend time with your dog and make you and them better at whatever endeavor you pursue then you will be in good shape.

A trick test, is one where the dog fails by doing the "right" thing. It's the opposite of a fair test.

A tough test, is one where the dog is very strongly influenced to do the "wrong" thing.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 06-22-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Think of it like this.

Tests ask questions.
    If the dog/handler team answer those questions correctly, they deserve to pass the test.

However, trick tests ask trick questions. And, the only way to get a trick question right, is by luck.
    In fact, the better you know the "real answers" the more likely you are to be fooled by a trick question.

Because, trick questions don't have real answers.

It IS hard to get a tough question right in a test. But, if you studied hard enough, you can answer it correctly.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 06-22-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    A trick test, is one where the dog fails by doing the "right" thing. It's the opposite of a fair test.

A tough test, is one where the dog is very strongly influenced to do the "wrong" thing.
    Bingo Bango
    HOLD FAST
    Winter is coming
    Duck hunters like other duck hunters at a Holiday party, cocktail hour or a school play..........they hate each other @ 5am

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Can some one help me understand the difference between all three (fair, Tough, Tricking) and scenoarios.
    Thanks, Brad
    If you stay in the game long enough and run different venues, then perhaps you will experience all three first-hand. Most are fair, some are tough and occaisionally some are tricky.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post

GOOD answer Doc!
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com