The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Pile Work Help

Default Pile Work Help

I wanted to ask all of you Guru's a couple of quick question. My Female Chocolate Lab has been doing fantastic after getting her to a great trainer for several months in that last year . She was doing pile work and was almost complete collar force to pile when I got and I wanted to work with her from there. I am working from Lardy's "Pile Work" chapter. She is now lining really well and stopping square on the wistle. I lack the experience to know when to move on to T drills.

I have read ahead a little and she has all of the tools to do the drills. She was taught to stop on whistle with the rope, and now is good on the whistle when being sent. What is the best way to teach or enforce stopping while coming in. What I was reading didn't seem very clear on that. I hope that is not too stupid of a question. She will be going back to the trainer in a month or so, but I wanted to see how far I could get her before sending her back

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by arklahunter; 06-21-2013 at 10:42 PM.

I had a lot of trouble on this with my dog. I am by no means an expert, but I used a check cord around a tree, and separated the sit whistle from the retrieve. Basically left him in a sit stay, called him in, and used the check cord around the tree to guide him to stop. Also, I did this using a second person on a check cord to help stop him at longer distances. Once he was sitting coming in without the bumper, I added in the retrieve again using the tree or the second person to guide him to sit.

He just really didn't get the remote sit and it was super frustrating, but that technique worked for us. Funny thing is, we trained the drop on recall for obedience without any issues. In hindsight, I think I may have been reinforcing here with the collar too much that caused the struggle with the remote sit in the first place.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

Quote Originally Posted by Trifecta View Post
    I had a lot of trouble on this with my dog. I am by no means an expert, but I used a check cord around a tree, and separated the sit whistle from the retrieve. Basically left him in a sit stay, called him in, and used the check cord around the tree to guide him to stop. Also, I did this using a second person on a check cord to help stop him at longer distances. Once he was sitting coming in without the bumper, I added in the retrieve again using the tree or the second person to guide him to sit.

He just really didn't get the remote sit and it was super frustrating, but that technique worked for us. Funny thing is, we trained the drop on recall for obedience without any issues. In hindsight, I think I may have been reinforcing here with the collar too much that caused the struggle with the remote sit in the first place.
    A very good point to remember ...Keep the dog in balance.....Too much of any one thing will cause a problem....Sit is the most important command...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Yes BALANCE!!!

Gauge was slow to here. I had to do a lot of collar work to encourage him to get the lead out. More here work means more of everything for balance. I was including sit and a lot of fun bumpers with the extra HERE work. He looks much sharper.

Quote Originally Posted by arklahunter View Post
    I wanted to ask all of you Guru's a couple of quick question. My Female Chocolate Lab has been doing fantastic after getting her to a great trainer for several months in that last year . She was doing pile work and was almost complete collar force to pile when I got and I wanted to work with her from there. I am working from Lardy's "Pile Work" chapter. She is now lining really well and stopping square on the wistle. I lack the experience to know when to move on to T drills.

I have read ahead a little and she has all of the tools to do the drills. She was taught to stop on whistle with the rope, and now is good on the whistle when being sent. What is the best way to teach or enforce stopping while coming in. What I was reading didn't seem very clear on that. I hope that is not too stupid of a question. She will be going back to the trainer in a month or so, but I wanted to see how far I could get her before sending her back

Thanks guys.
    When she is coming toward you take a rapid huge step forward and raise your hands like a traffic cop while giving a loud verbal sit command. Transition to not taking the step and finally to the whistle. One thing to remember is that this is going to cause some issues, most likely with the dog spitting the bumper. I do not really feel that this is even a necessary step to be quite honest. Most dogs when they have been stopped enough on T and understand the fundamentals can easily be stopped on a come in. I'm not saying the drill doesn't have merit just that I don't see much difference in the end result. With that being said, only you know what's best for your dog and you. Happy training.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifecta View Post

Adding difficulty in small steps...How can you expect the dog to hang on to the bumper when it doesn't even know how to do the stop first...Simplify the learning process for the dog ...You loose sight of what is the real problem when trying to do too much at a time....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters