The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best video for force fetch

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    if you want your dog properly forced fetch, go with a pro.

/Paul

I agree. Spend the money and have pro do it.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Can't learn how to FF from a video? Wish someone would have told me that years ago! My dumbass FFed my first dog long before RTF existed and long before I ever met a "pro". Heck I have even managed to FF a couple more since. And all without the help of a "pro".

You should be able to FF your own dog if you get some of the materials recommended above and follow the program to the tee. My limited experience has been that every dog is different and they all progress at a different rate. If you run into a problem that is not discussed in your chosen materials then consult someone more experienced, be it a "pro" or a serious amateur. Beware, just because someone has a dog truck or a dog trailer doesn't make them a "pro".

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Your right pros suck. Buy a video

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

If time and experience will teach you nothing else, it will teach you that rarely is dog training an "all or nothing" proposition. If you have a good book and/or video you can learn a great deal about dog training that is good and useful. If you have a poor book and/or video you can learn substandard things about dog training. Even if the author is a fine trainer, that's no guarantee they're effective teachers of human beings. But that also goes for pro trainers. All someone needs to do in order to be a 'pro' is to take money for training or handling dogs, even if it's under false pretenses. Just because someone takes money for training doesn't assure they're actually good at it. And it certainly provides no guarantee they can teach people how to effectively train dogs. Each aspect of this requires certain gifts.

Many people have learned how to train from books and videos. Many others have learned from someone else; a good pro or a good amateur. Some people have failed in the endeavor to learn to train effectively from the very same sources others succeeded from. No guarantees. But I think the better advice is not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. In other words, learn from all the best sources you can, practice what you've learned, and gain your own experience. No sane person would tell you not to train with a good pro just because you've done well with your book or video, or vice versa, without an ax to grind that weighs more than their integrity.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    ...... If you have a good book and/or video you can learn a great deal about dog training that is good and useful. If you have a poor book and/or video you can learn substandard things about dog training. Even if the author is a fine trainer, that's no guarantee they're effective teachers of human beings. But that also goes for pro trainers. All someone needs to do in order to be a 'pro' is to take money for training or handling dogs, even if it's under false pretenses. Just because someone takes money for training doesn't assure they're actually good at it. And it certainly provides no guarantee they can teach people how to effectively train dogs......
    Evan
    I agree with Evan!
    Dang, first copter now the G! This thread is gonna be the death of me!
    But for real, early on I was told to read everything you can get your hands on. Watch everyone you are able to and take it all with a grain of salt.
    There are a lot of great books and vids. And others work best at keeping the coffee table level.
    There are a lot of great pro trainers. And others work best at scooping poop.
    There are a lot of great people that can help you here on the RTF. And others scoop poop onto coffee tables
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Lonnie what program did you follow years ago? Not being a smart a$$ but wondering who was producing the material way back then.

Bill Hillmann's "Fetch Command" may be the best one I have seen. Plus I like the approach much more than the ear pinch method.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Lonnie what program did you follow years ago? Not being a smart a$$ but wondering who was producing the material way back then.
    If Im not mistaken it was a book titled "Training Retrievers, The Cotton Pershall Method" or could have been "The Working Retrievers" by Tom Quinn. I also had "Water Dog" by Wolters but Im quite certain it only mentioned teaching "hold" on the return from a retrieve not formal FF.

"way back then" was 1994 so not THAT long ago. Got my first HT ribbon in 1998, still have it hanging on the wall.

Lonnie Spann
    Last edited by Lonnie Spann; 06-25-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Just a little insite I bought w well breed black lab and did everything right and at 6 mo took him to a pro 2500 dollars later I had a dog that could sit and heel if he felt like it. To my understanding all dogs learn at ther own pace but imo the trainer should have let me known a month Into It or atleast 2 months that there was a problem But lesson learned. Always check up on the dog. So going with a pro is not a option my wife will divorce me. And back to that trainer he didn't even shoot around the dog I had started shooting around him but not close up I figured the trainer would work it in also he told me he does live flyers once a week and when I let a live flyer go the dog didn't know what it was

Quote Originally Posted by Jarratt08 View Post
    Just a little insite I bought w well breed black lab and did everything right and at 6 mo took him to a pro 2500 dollars later I had a dog that could sit and heel if he felt like it. To my understanding all dogs learn at ther own pace but imo the trainer should have let me known a month Into It or atleast 2 months that there was a problem But lesson learned. Always check up on the dog. So going with a pro is not a option my wife will divorce me. And back to that trainer he didn't even shoot around the dog I had started shooting around him but not close up I figured the trainer would work it in also he told me he does live flyers once a week and when I let a live flyer go the dog didn't know what it was
    My pro trainer is the best thing that has happened to my dog and I. My dog loves to go back on training days and as much training as I can get in. Pro trainers are not all alike. Most are fantastic.