The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best video for force fetch

I believe ya but I jut got that one and he spoiled it for me so now Its gonna be hard to try it again

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    If time and experience will teach you nothing else, it will teach you that rarely is dog training an "all or nothing" proposition. If you have a good book and/or video you can learn a great deal about dog training that is good and useful. If you have a poor book and/or video you can learn substandard things about dog training. Even if the author is a fine trainer, that's no guarantee they're effective teachers of human beings. But that also goes for pro trainers. All someone needs to do in order to be a 'pro' is to take money for training or handling dogs, even if it's under false pretenses. Just because someone takes money for training doesn't assure they're actually good at it. And it certainly provides no guarantee they can teach people how to effectively train dogs. Each aspect of this requires certain gifts.

Many people have learned how to train from books and videos. Many others have learned from someone else; a good pro or a good amateur. Some people have failed in the endeavor to learn to train effectively from the very same sources others succeeded from. No guarantees. But I think the better advice is not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. In other words, learn from all the best sources you can, practice what you've learned, and gain your own experience. No sane person would tell you not to train with a good pro just because you've done well with your book or video, or vice versa, without an ax to grind that weighs more than their integrity.

Evan
    Like Ken I'm having one of those days. I don't disagree with anything you said in this.

I have just about every book and video out there and have read/watched them all dozens of times, including yours. Most of my clients have either purchased them or borrowed them to watch over the years. You can never learn it all or retain all the knowledge gleaned from them. My “ax to grind” is that learning to apply what you watched is the most difficult aspect. This is where working with someone experienced is the key. That’s why I'm a member of 3 local clubs, club officer in 1 of them. I don't get much from clubs, but I can help out new folks with just that aspect. It’s also why I do things like the upcoming ODFW Introduction to Hunting Dog Workshop. The first Don Remien seminar I went too he spoke of how he learned and his mentor’s ask was that he pass on what he learned. That struck home for me. I feel not recommending someone get with an experienced trainer that can best explain the art of dog training would show a lack of integrity. I’m glad we have the same opinion of this.

On the flip side, I just watched a very interesting show on the Discovery channel that outlined the exact procedure for doing a triple bypass. Anyone need one give me a call….

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    On the flip side, I just watched a very interesting show on the Discovery channel that outlined the exact procedure for doing a triple bypass. Anyone need one give me a call….

/Paul
    Let me know when you've watched one on liposuction.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Like Ken I'm having one of those days. I don't disagree with anything you said in this.

I have just about every book and video out there and have read/watched them all dozens of times, including yours. Most of my clients have either purchased them or borrowed them to watch over the years. You can never learn it all or retain all the knowledge gleaned from them. My “ax to grind” is that learning to apply what you watched is the most difficult aspect. This is where working with someone experienced is the key......

/Paul
    I agree. Competent, experienced coaching is immensely helpful, whether or not you have also studied solid course material via books or DVDs. Keep learning. Keep practicing. It all works best together. Be smart in choosing sources, and do the work. That and a quality dog = fun and success!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Gary A posted this recently?

When Soviets are building a new base at the North Pole, in 1961., they assigned only one doctor to a twelve-member team, not counting on himself can get sick to.

Lovers of the series "Only Fools and Horses" remember the storie that Rodney told Cassandra about his brother Derek, who is so afraid that the doctor : When his former fiancée stabbed him with a knife, Derek refused to go to the doctor and himself sewed the wound.

Rambo fans will remember their hero from the third part of the popular trilogy, a character played by legendary Slaj when with a hot military knife he removed a bullet from the wound itself, and himself stitched the wound.

However, even Rambo is completely overshadowed by this Russian doctor. What is it about?

Leonid Rogozov, Russian doctor who operated on himself!

In 1961, the Soviet team of twelve members built a new base in Antarctica. However, for all these long months they spent trapped at temperatures familiar with absolute zero, the organizers of this project have given the team only one doctor, Leonid Rogozov.

The 12 men inside were cut off from the outside world by the polar winter by March of that year. In April, the 27-year-old Rogozov began to feel ill, very ill. His symptoms were classic: he had acute appendicitis and he was forced to operate - himself. Simply, there was no one else. However, his colleagues made ​​sure that this amazing enterprise be recorded with a camera and thus remembered.

By the way - he had successfully carried out the operation.