The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance for Chicago Retirees

Default Insurance for Chicago Retirees

So ... Chicago made a mess of its benefit program which has helped to drive the city to the brink of insolvency. Emanuel has found a solution to the problem of retiree health insurance, though ...
    ... Rahm Emanuel, who decided that the city was through with paying for healthcare benefits on behalf of about 30,000 retired government workers.
    “Once the phaseout is complete,” reported the Chicago Tribune, “those retired workers would have to pay for their own health insurance or get subsidies under the [Obamacare.] The city-subsidized coverage is particularly important to retired workers who aren't yet eligible for Medicare, as opposed to those 65 or older who use the subsidies for Medicare supplemental insurance.”
    The 30,000 retired workers will either pay for their health insurance individually, says the city, or they can move their healthcare over to Obamacare and receive a federal government subsidy along the way, in addition to paying an out of pocket premium. The proposal will save Chicago $109 million next year.

How convenient that Obamacare is there to take up the slack, and "forgive" Chicago for one of its poor fiscal choices.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

They never cease to amaze me with their arrogance!
    I ignore stupidity unless you bring it to my attention!
    Crystal Coast Labradors

CCL Return To Sender
    N Sana Te

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    So ... Chicago made a mess of its benefit program which has helped to drive the city to the brink of insolvency. Emanuel has found a solution to the problem of retiree health insurance, though ...

How convenient that Obamacare is there to take up the slack, and "forgive" Chicago for one of its poor fiscal choices. [/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

It would me much better if those moochers had no healthcare at all. What a shame that Obamacare will give those deadbeats a vehicle to continue to get healthcare that they don't deserve and that the city can no longer afford to pay for. Same goes for every other state or municipal worker across the country.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    It would me much better if those moochers had no healthcare at all. What a shame that Obamacare will give those deadbeats a vehicle to continue to get healthcare that they don't deserve and that the city can no longer afford to pay for. Same goes for every other state or municipal worker across the country.
    Buzz, taking the point to the extreme does not really help find solutions.

We know that there are cities, counties and states all over the country that are now having to pay the piper for their fiscal largesse on behalf of their taxpayers. The penalties for those who perpetrated the collapse (much like Wall Street) pay no price for their incompetence or profiteering on the taxpayer dime.

As a self-employed individual, I have personally purchased health insurance individually for 20 years, and continue to purchase a Medicare supplement. So, before one jumps to conclusions that these employees would be left on skid row, we should also know whether their pensions are generous enough for them to "survive" without further taxpayer supports for health insurance.

We do know that some public sector pension payments are VERY generous. Some retire early enough from their public service to have time to start yet another career. OTOH, some of these public entities may also have short-changed their pension contributions.

This same thing is not limited to the public sector. Bethlehem Steel, when it closed its doors, was hard to sell to another company because their pension & retiree health insurance benefits were so onerous. Taxpayers also had to step in to salvage that debacle. I know of no one who went to jail over that either.

There is room for reasonable discussion on how to solve these problems. The problem here seems to be that nobody is held accountable for incompetency.

It might not help a lot, in the short run, if those who mess up in govt or corrupt unions or corrupt companies, but it would help in the long run if some of these people went to jail and sacrificed some of their own assets to right the wrongs they do. The help for the long run would be that others would think harder about being responsible if there were actual consequences for incompetence and corruption.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

As a self-employed individual, I have personally purchased health insurance individually for 20 years, and continue to purchase a Medicare supplement.
    Why do you purchase a Medicare supplement?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

How convenient that Obamacare is there to take up the slack, and "forgive" Chicago for one of its poor fiscal choices.
    In what way would Obamacare take up the slack, say as opposed to someone who retired from a private corp./public company with a pension? Or compared to a person who was self employed and retired at age 60?
    Last edited by mngundog; 06-22-2013 at 11:07 PM.

How did the union's not stop this?
    Brandon Edmondson

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoned View Post
    How did the union's not stop this?
    I'm assuming that this is sarcasm?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

If immigration passes look for the Demorats to go all in with illegal aliens to the detriment of blacks and unions. The more educated blacks see immigration for what it is;vote buying. Dems are trying to stack the "Plantation" with LIV from their favorite special intrest groups.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    I'm assuming that this is sarcasm?
    Oh yea for sure! Just waiting to hear the "pro-union" peoples reply...
    Brandon Edmondson