The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Cable or Sat TV, pick your channels

  1. #1
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default Cable or Sat TV, pick your channels

    So whether you have cable or Satalite how many here think the consumer should be able to pick the channels they want to pay for? If I want cable I am forced to buy from only one company per law, that is a pile of garbage. same with DTV. I'm not going to SAT because been there done that when I had no choice (no cable on my street back then) and in bad weather( searching for SAT) .
    I'm tired of paying for a ton of shopping channels we never watch and not being able to vote with my money when channels dump or add something based on stupid politics.
    While I never watch the food network I pay for it not by choice. Right now I would love to dump it but there is no way to dump the channel and tell them to go yo know what. I still hae to pay for that. I can't even vote with my money!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    So whether you have cable or Satalite how many here think the consumer should be able to pick the channels they want to pay for? If I want cable I am forced to buy from only one company per law, that is a pile of garbage. same with DTV. I'm not going to SAT because been there done that when I had no choice (no cable on my street back then) and in bad weather( searching for SAT) .
    I'm tired of paying for a ton of shopping channels we never watch and not being able to vote with my money when channels dump or add something based on stupid politics.
    While I never watch the food network I pay for it not by choice. Right now I would love to dump it but there is no way to dump the channel and tell them to go yo know what. I still hae to pay for that. I can't even vote with my money!
    I hate the 'line up' that we have to pay for. They removed the one channel that we got the dish for ! We did get it back but Hubby had to call "etc." We constantly get mailings from the same company wanting us to sign up with them. Price keeps going up for the package that has the few that we do like/want.
    charly

    There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

  3. #3
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,432

    Default

    I have learned to get around having to surf thru the mindless shopping networks and other useless pseudo news stations

    I just programmed my TV remote to only show my favorites
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  4. #4
    Senior Member txrancher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NE Texas & NC coast
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I have learned to get around having to surf thru the mindless shopping networks and other useless pseudo news stations

    I just programmed my TV remote to only show my favorites
    Unfortunately my favorites are not available at all or require purchasing additional packages. Anyway you look at it the consumer is getting force fed and I can understand that the consumer is fed up!
    I ignore stupidity unless you bring it to my attention!
    Crystal Coast Labradors

    CCL Return To Sender
    N Sana Te

  5. #5
    Senior Member starjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    891

    Default

    I have asked this very question many time. I think all they will do is charge very high prices per the channels you want to make up any lost income.

  6. #6
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I have learned to get around having to surf thru the mindless shopping networks and other useless pseudo news stations

    I just programmed my TV remote to only show my favorites
    But you are still paying for all of those other channels.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  7. #7
    Senior Member JJaxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    402

    Default

    In 1994 I moved from California to rural Indiana, leaving cable behind forever. Our new house had an antenna on it so we had the local stuff and pbs. Then the RCA dish came out and I paid top $$ to get it as soon as it hit the stores. It was nice to get the disney crap for the kids and my Discovery channel etc. but the garbage they loaded into the package grew every month, then the rates went up. They know what you watch, and move them to a higher package until in 1998 I said enough, and cancelled. God stepped in and helped me justify that by whacking it with lightning and fried the unit. So the antenna still worked. 2000, we moved to a less rural part of the state, with antenna, and got a few more local stations. In-laws came to visit and couldn't believe we were living so primitive - w/o cable. No CNN, weather channel, etc, that old folks must have to survive these times b/c the are computer challenged. Her pops went to the local Radio shack and bought for us a dish looking antenna that works with a power booster. It took me 2 years to install it and wow, we get clear picture and everything even on PBS. Several other new stations came in too. I don't need cable, but get 3 or 4 offers weekly in the mail from them. Same from dish systems. I simply take their unsolicited literature and stuff it back into their sase and send it back, they pay for the postage. Kind of my way to stimulate the economy through the USPS. As for what I watch in the premium entertainment realm, I watch it online. Survivor, Swamp people, Duck Dynasty, Storage wars are all there for free, cuz I already pay for cable internet ($31 / month) anyway, and they can't compete with that cuz they're paying huge postage fees every month. I'll never need to have or want to have paid cable TV. BTW, Radio shack and others no longer sell the same dish looking antenna I still use, but if they did, I'd buy several more as gifts to family that complain about high cable bills. ( :
    HRCH TilHe CallsUsHome ~ Tilly

  8. #8
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,706

    Default

    I'm working on getting free "cable" by hooking my laptop up to my TV. Since I'm technologically challenged, this may take a while. With free Hulu or Rabbit TV ($10/year), you can then you can add Netflix if you want ... or just get movies a bit later free with other movie services. Almost every station offers free internet viewing ... hence the need for the laptop.

    I may have to spring for a flat screen (talk about primitive here ... my 20-year old Toshiba still has a great picture) to make it all come together. Savings on Dish will pay for the TV quickly.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    1,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    I'm working on getting free "cable" by hooking my laptop up to my TV. Since I'm technologically challenged, this may take a while. With free Hulu or Rabbit TV ($10/year), you can then you can add Netflix if you want ... or just get movies a bit later free with other movie services. Almost every station offers free internet viewing ... hence the need for the laptop.

    I may have to spring for a flat screen (talk about primitive here ... my 20-year old Toshiba still has a great picture) to make it all come together. Savings on Dish will pay for the TV quickly.
    Netflix is great and if you buy a new flatscreen they already have the Netflix/Hulu/internet installed in them so there is no need for the laptop.

  10. #10
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,632

    Default

    Really annoys me that AMC no longer has movies and the History Channel no longer shows much history and certainly no WWII etc. Seems like most go to info-mercials for large parts of the day. I don't like reality shows, not a sports fan, and am getting tired of Law and Order franchise re-runs. Would really like to have Turner Classic Movies and the Military Channel, but have to move up to the next level and am already paying more than I want. Am hoping that when U-verse gets here I may have an opportunity since my phone and internet are both ATT.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •