The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fen Wizzard sire of 2013 NAFC Dottie Ray's Ivy League

Default Fen Wizzard sire of 2013 NAFC Dottie Ray's Ivy League

Congrats to Brian Johnston and FC AFC Fen Wizzard on being the sire of the 2013 NAFC Dottie Ray's Ivy League...Those of us who out west have seen Fen and witnessed his pinpoint marking ability and also his underrated ability to produce excellent marking pups..Maybe now the rest of the country will stand up and take notice

For those that unaware of Fen and what he brings to the table here are a few quick notes

Fen is a littermate to FC Merlyn IV

Fen is Fargo II son and is a Cosmo grandson on his dam's side

Fen's breeding to Hurricane Breeze not only produced Ivy, but also two dogs that were # 3 and #5 on the 2012 Derby List, and Ivy's litter produced FC Huckleberry Fen and FC Madison Hadagun

Fen Wizzard pups can flat out mark, Ivy showed that this week....Congrats to Andy Kahn,Roger Fangsrud, and Brian Johnston for making the connection happen twice
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

That is just cool. Thanks for kicking in the info on the family members.

Isn't Fen's momma a full sister to NAFC Carbon, sire of NFC Chopper?
    Something to be said for genetics like that

Can someone tell me about the dam as well? I'm not a breeder and not looking for a pup, but I love hearing about both sides of the equation that produce these magnificent dogs.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    A good dog is a good dog......

Fen, at least listed in OFA, has only 19 offspring for a 10 year old dog........on the other hand Merlyn has at least twice that.........just an observation.......
    His location in Utah makes it very difficult for some folks in other parts of the country to consider him as a sire. If getting to Fen is not a problem, he is a very worthy stud candidate IMO - and was even prior to his offspring's national win.
    David Didier, GA

Huge congratulations are in order for Ivy and Andy's pro, John Henninger and Amie Duke. Nice to see a dog with so many derby points move through so smoothly. Amie and John are good people. Thrilled for their success.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Can someone tell me about the dam as well? I'm not a breeder and not looking for a pup, but I love hearing about both sides of the equation that produce these magnificent dogs.
    FC AFC Hurricane Breeze was out of FC AFC CAFC CFC DB's Cracker of Club Mead (Ritz) who was a littermate to Sharon Van der Lee's great dog CNAFC CNFC Club Mead's Steel Magnolia...Ritz had a very distinguished career with 165.5 AA points

Breeze is a Lean Mac granddaughter on top and a Super Tanker great granddaughter on the bottom
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Frozen is frozen...it all ships the same way.....Merlyn is in Oregon................

Mine was just an observation not a slant at all.........more curious than anything............
    Meryln is a fabulous dog and a worthy sire, but even with the very limited number of times Fen has been bred, his offspring have had more success. There are lots of reasons one dog might be bred more than another, and it isn't always based in reason.

Frozen is frozen...it all ships the same way.....Merlyn is in Oregon................

Mine was just an observation not a slant at all.........more curious than anything............
    Merlyn was a non-stop flight for me to CA when I bred Stella......and I much prefer a live breeding.
    David Didier, GA