The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your advice?

Default What's your advice?

Typically on here would be advice and reference to a programme from any source that is available to you. But If any of these programmes and tools at your disposal were not available , what would the advice be?....Now, you could get some smart ass come up with some crafty response that shoots down in flames how others approach things!! but that would be just rude! and after all, RTF is a family ! Isn't it?..So how would you help this fella out?

http://www.gundogtrainingforum.co.uk...hp?f=6&t=17156

?????
    I have used Evan's experienced quote as an example of a helpful reply to someone recently 'State Side' !on another thread (Hope Evan doesn't mind) ,So you can appreciate that a response such as this would be 'lost' and inevitably be useless to the person This side of the pond.

Good. That's how we learn. We're only asking these questions so we know what tools you have at your disposal. If your dog isn't handling pressure well that's a signal to you that you may want to question how "FF, CC, OB, etc" were accomplished. If the trainer of this dog was a Carr-based (Smartwork, TRT system) trainer it's much easier to relate to, so useful suggestions can more readily be offered.

One thing I hope you come to understand, and it relates to all your dog's basic training, is that CC stands for e-collar conditioning. That means your dog should have been soundly and appropriately conditioned to e-stimulus as a form of pressure. That should have been done in a manner that resulted in your dog tolerating that pressure, understanding it, and reacting in predictable, stable ways. If that isn't happening it's a poor idea to go on. But that does not mean you can't proceed with an e-collar. It just means the conditioning will need to take place more thoroughly so you have the tools you'll need.

Now, I personally am not against CC or FF or FTP ,Or pressure in all it's variations
    So if RTF is a family for all retriever trainers and owners how would you advise?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Without knowing a full history and details about the dog, there is no way to give good advice.

If it is not too late, I put her on a check cord and go back to doing lots of fun marks. See if I can get her to love it more than not.

And then when she can take pressure again, de-bolt.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

My understanding of what's happening is the fella' was running some blinds and the dog bolts pehaps because of a collar correction.
    First of all- the thread offers no training history in terms of what fundamentals are in place, but one things' for sure-
    The dog doesn't understand collar pressure.

Would also believe hasn't been properly pressure conditioned nor CC'd, if so, someone doesn't know how to use an E-collar properly, (considering there's no training material available to refer to).

Would also believe that someone's trying to Push the dog back in a "straight" line before it's ever run the first lining wheel in training at all.
    Dunno'.
    Cart before the horse (?)
    Sounds like real mess.
    My advice would be, if there's no comprehensive training material available , (Collar training), I'd just leave the collar alone and train the dog.
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Considering this appears to be Europe, I doubt it was due to collar pressure. Wonder what he did to create this....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

You being a non collar advocate ,I could explain how we debolted dogs 40 yrs ago but then again I hate bringing those old skeletons out of the closet.Sorry
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Considering this appears to be Europe, I doubt it was due to collar pressure. Wonder what he did to create this....

/Paul
    Thought that too intially Gundog, looks like I'm wrong about that.
    One poster on the UK thread mentioned " can't handle the pressure" and Polmaise mentioned this-

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Typically on here would be advice and reference to a programme from any source that is available to you. But If any of these programmes and tools at your disposal were not available
    Thought there'd certainly be some Wildrose floatin' around across the pond.

Guess the fact I've never had a non force dawg run 800yds. back to the truck because of a whistle SIT or a correction made me think it.
    Last edited by Swampbilly; 06-26-2013 at 05:02 PM.

It would be useful to know exactly what sort of "correction" "pressure" methods have been used on this dog.
    No one over there likes to talk about it.
    I have a 14 year old labrador professionally trained in Ireland until she was 16 months old. I never raised a hand to this dog or really scolder her for anything what ever. Wonderful pleasant dog really. to this day, if i roll up a newspaper and swat a fly she will high tail it to another room. Never did find out what the heck they did to her over there.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Need more history of how the dog was trained????
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

No collars there , I believe
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    No collars there , I believe
    Don't believe so either, I stand corrected after re-reading again.

Sure does make for me an 800yd. run back to the truck err,.. I mean motor, more of a bigger question.