The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help - Breaking/creeping on Honor

Default Help - Breaking/creeping on Honor

I have 2 1/2 y/o blf. Obedience basics done by myself and re-affirmed by local PRO. Dog went thru hunt test program JH/SH and now running Master. Sheis pretty high energy and I am continually re-enforcing her line manners. Heeling, sitting, not creeping, etc. I know I messed up last two times she broke on the honor she wound up getting the bird(reward). Happened again yesterday with same result. I usually train alone but on occassion can have one or two others with me. I'm lost and don't know how to correct this behavior. Can someone give advice? Thanks.
    Jerry

I have the same problem with my chessie. He has gotten the bird by breaking on honor in the last two tests he has run. I have cracked down hard on all shuffling or moving at the line, but at a test he never moves but is gone like a gun shot when the flyer is shot for the working dog. Last time he almost caught the bird before it hit the ground! Usually this is after running perfect marks and nice blinds. So disappointing! No groups here, any ideas appreciated.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Don't mean to sound too elementary-

If it's only happening on an honor, I'd have every buddy I've got with his dog in the training field with me so I could set the dog up honoring to make proper corrections away from the line.

Hard to beat honoring. ( Well a live bird too ).
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Do a search for breaking, there's more written about that on this forum than anything other than FF

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Oncini View Post
    Can someone give advice? Thanks.
    Jerry
    1- stop running tests
    2- buy at least 1 or maybe 2 more dogs
    3- when you train alone teach them all to sit, hit your launcher button and send only one to the bird, correct the other 2

very very hard for 1 dog folks who train alone to work on honor. buy more dogs and stop running tests. all you are doing now is teaching a dog how to be testwise.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ken, this is a serious question. Assuming you only have two hands, one transmitter OR heeling stick, and 3 dogs, how do you launch, send 1 and correct 2 at the same time? Of course all 3 will sit all day until that one time you need the correction, and then it sounds like you have a custer fluck on your hands.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Ken, this is a serious question. Assuming you only have two hands, one transmitter OR heeling stick, and 3 dogs, how do you launch, send 1 and correct 2 at the same time?.

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

used to train with a couple who would have 5-8 Chessies on a chain gang at the line at all times.
    Chain gang training is so out of voge I bet 3/4 of the folks reading this have no clue what a chain gang even is.
    dogs could honor well afore the e-collar Carol

^^^Looks like Mr. Boras' job is done for the day ^^^
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

I never put the dog back in the truck. Might as well sell him if you're gonna do that and start training cats.

I've also found that people who get animated in use of the heeling stick, large collar burns and screaming/yelling sit here heal often have the worst success in actually getting the dog to not break. Most of the time those A type dogs are more than willing to put up with that pain to get the bird. For them, its just what they have to tolerate to get what they want. A back to basics approach of good heeling drills, yard work, walking singles off a mat with little excitement and making the dog own sitting there are he doesn't get the reward of the retrieve is a better approach. I also will put the dog out in the field on a down and make him own watching other dogs work. Found this to be effective as well. Small corrections with better timing seem to work better.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"