The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Runny stool... Need some opinions

Default Runny stool... Need some opinions

My 6 mo old BLF has had runny/soft stool for at least a month now. I took her to the vet a couple weeks ago and had her checked out. She tested negative for parasites and Giardia. The vet said the rash she had on her underside was a bacterial infection and gave her some antibiotic which lasted about a week. She also gave a brown paste for the diarrhea. Well the rash seems to have gotten a little better but hasn't gone away. And the runny stool actually got worse as she progressed through the medication. I started giving her yogurt and pumpkin and the stool seemed to firm up a bit, but she's pooping an awful lot in my opinion. She is a petite girl, at only 38 pounds right now. I've been feeding her 1 cup of Blue Buffalo large breed puppy 3 times per day. And she's pooping at least 3 times per day, each time it's the equivalent of a cup or so, give or take. When she poops it just seems like a lot of poop coming out of her.

What are your thoughts about this? Could 3 cups of food be too much for her? She has a very athletic build, thin and slender, but no ribs showing even when wet. Could the antibiotic have killed off all of her good intestinal bacteria and now we have to build the cultures back up? Should I switch to a different brand of food? She seems really healthy and happy, and her coat is shiny as can be.

I don't know... I'm really thinking about trying a different vet. The one I took her to recently really didn't give me any answers at all, and really couldn't relate to me or her being a hunting dog. What do you guys think?

Does she have access to free "food" stuff she should not eat when in the yard? She is a lab and they will eat anything.
    Antobotics can often cause the poops. Is she still on an antibotic today? Needs to be evaluated by a Vet.
    3 cups of feed a day sounds about right.
    Might try a different brand, switch her over in a few days, not all at once. Talk with your vet about sensitive stomach feeds.
    Take her back to the vet but sounds like a new vet might be in order. Waiting a couple weeks sounds sort of long for a F/U in my opinion. Any vet that can't relate to me and my hunting dogs is not my vet.
    Is she working or down sick? Sounds like she is Ok at the moment.
    Keep us posted. Don

Banned

Pumpkin adds a lot of fiber so maybe it is too much. Do you notice any funny smell from the food? Anything like wet paint? How close to expiration is the food?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    Does she have access to free "food" stuff she should not eat when in the yard? She is a lab and they will eat anything. No, not really. I keep the yard pretty clean and clear of "food" stuff.
    Antobotics can often cause the poops. Is she still on an antibotic today? Needs to be evaluated by a Vet.
    3 cups of feed a day sounds about right. She is off the antibiotics now.
    Might try a different brand, switch her over in a few days, not all at once. Talk with your vet about sensitive stomach feeds.
    Take her back to the vet but sounds like a new vet might be in order. Waiting a couple weeks sounds sort of long for a F/U in my opinion. Any vet that can't relate to me and my hunting dogs is not my vet. Sorry... what does F/U stand for? I'd get her back to the vet sooner but things are really hectic right now. Wife and I are in the process of moving and new jobs.
    Is she working or down sick? Sounds like she is Ok at the moment. She never acts like anything is wrong with her... Always appears happy and healthy.
    Keep us posted. Don
    Thank you for your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinRetriever View Post
    Pumpkin adds a lot of fiber so maybe it is too much. Do you notice any funny smell from the food? Anything like wet paint? How close to expiration is the food?
    I just started the pumpkin a few days ago and the soft stool has been going on for a month or so. Actually there's been a slight improvement since feeding the pumpkin. I only give her about a tablespoon each time.

The food smells normal and it's pretty fresh. I keep it in a container that's sealed up pretty good.

Giardia is pretty hard to catch in a fecal, and pretty common in dogs. I would talk to your vet about treating her for it even though the fecal is negative.
    Have seen that help several times, including with my boy.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

I would try switching foods. I tried blue buffalo large breed puppy and my 6 month old had really loose stools. I switched him back to pp and it firmed up right away.

Those with experience, could it also be from Coccidia? Same or similar symptoms to Giardia.
    HRCH TilHe CallsUsHome ~ Tilly

Quote Originally Posted by Williamhh View Post
    I would try switching foods. I tried blue buffalo large breed puppy and my 6 month old had really loose stools. I switched him back to pp and it firmed up right away.
    Do you think I should try cutting back on her food a bit first before switching altogether? I'm starting to wonder if, since she's so petite, 3 cups is possibly too much for her to properly digest.

My pup was on the thin side so I tried to increase the amount of food I was feeding him but that only resulted in loose stools. I then switched back to what the breeders initially fed the litter (ProPlan) and he has done really well since - body has filled out and has firm stools.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.