The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Runny stool... Need some opinions

We feed BB also and I never went over 2 and a half cups of food. Especially after 6 months - she has stopped eating her mid meal all on her own. Since then, she has one cup in the morning and one in the afternoon. She is a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose's Mom View Post
    We feed BB also and I never went over 2 and a half cups of food. Especially after 6 months - she has stopped eating her mid meal all on her own. Since then, she has one cup in the morning and one in the afternoon. She is a year old.
    I think starting tomorrow I'm going to cut her back to 2.5 cups per day and see if things improve. Are you still feeding the puppy food or have you switched to adult... and if so, at what age did you make the switch?

I switched her right at about 6 months to adult lamb and rice formula. I am in process of switching her again now to the Wilderness Salmon large breed formula. Her stools have always been fine but she is shedding a lot lately.

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    Giardia is pretty hard to catch in a fecal, and pretty common in dogs. I would talk to your vet about treating her for it even though the fecal is negative.
    Have seen that help several times, including with my boy.
    What is Giarda treated with?

Quote Originally Posted by J_Brown View Post
    Do you think I should try cutting back on her food a bit first before switching altogether? I'm starting to wonder if, since she's so petite, 3 cups is possibly too much for her to properly digest.
    You could try it first before switching. I feed my pup 3.5-4 cups of pp but he is pretty tall and lanky. I did cut back when on bb to 3 cups though bc it seemed like the weight stayed on him more. So maybe she needs less than three. However, mine went from firm to really loose to firm just with food and I switched him slowly.

my pup had same problem with Blue buffalo. he had several spouts of bad diarreha consistent soft stools. Samething, vet said no worms or bacteria. His stool seemed to get a lot better on the Rx dog food called ID but once he was returned back on BB it was soft again.

We got sick of it and just made a total switch to Taste of the wild bison puppy food and his stool is great now! very formed and hard and he seems to love his food.

I know BB is supposed to be a good food but I spoke with another lab owner who had almost the exact same problem as me and she said to switch foods asap.

Our vet said it wasn't the food, but after switching my pup's GI tract is finally in check.

If it's something simple, say the particular food, make any changes slowly and give the dog time to adjust to the change. When changing food for example, I might mix old food and new in a ratio of say 3:1 for a couple of days...then even portions for a couple of days....then 1:3. Most dogs you don't need to take this time but yours has shown a sensitivity to something that needs to be taken into account. Depending on the quality of the food, 3 cups a day sounds a bit much. My 35-40 pound adults eat 1 1/2 cups of Eukanuba Performance for reference. You may simply be pushing too much food into the gut so that it doesn't have time to fully digest it.

One thing that must be considered with prolonged cases of stool problems....exocrine pancreatic insufficiency(EPI). She's a bit young to have developed this but...

Did you take a stool sample to the vet? In all cases like this, a plastic baggie should accompany the dog. EPI is marked by a sort of grayish stool color. Another symptom of EPI is stool eating. The stool may be runny or firm depending on whether there's an accompanying (secondary) intestinal infection. Just to be sure, take the sample to the vet and ask if it could be EPI. EPI is not likely but should be ruled out.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by J_Brown View Post
    Do you think I should try cutting back on her food a bit first before switching altogether? I'm starting to wonder if, since she's so petite, 3 cups is possibly too much for her to properly digest.
    If you feed once a day three should be right in line. I feed one cup twice a day to keep them fit and trim. If I increase the amount they tend to get runny stoles. May want to cut back before switching brands.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Mine was in the same boat. I think her food was too rich. I tried multiple foods: Taste of the Wild, Nutro, Extreme. Finally tried Pro Plan Performance and the stool firmed up immediately.
    Rocky Hill's Texas Lady MH

Go team chocolate!

Been dealing with a runny stool for 2 weeks now. Dog was on Loyall Professional at the trainer but I switched to the Loyall active adult when I got him home but cant seem to get rid of the runny stools. Any ideas? Should I put him back on the professional? Had him checked at the vet and everything is good with the stool just runs loose. Was soft serve for the last week then went to complete loose over weekend and back to soft serve this morning.