The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pups, Parvo, and Water???

Default Pups, Parvo, and Water???

So I just had and sold my first litter of pups. I did everything the way I thought it should be done I.E. 26 month guarantee, shots, deworm, clip wing pigeon, socialized, and water introduction. The latter part is where I have the question.

I used a small pool in my yard filled with clean water that was warmed by the sun each day and then changed each night. I did this under the advisement of my vet. I was told NOT to take the pups to ANY water that other dogs may have had access to as they could contract parvo and die. She told me to wait until the last parvo shot is given before they are ready to go out.

This is where I have a problem understanding. Every time I look at a breeders page it seems like they have pups in a pond, creek or something of the like. I know when I got the mother the first day I had he we stayed at my aunts and as she lives on a lake we spent most the day on her beach and played in the water. When I got home I took her to a small pond by my house and she loved it.

I followed the vets instructions with the pups and told the new owners what the vet had told me. I did this as I did not want the pups to have any chance at getting sick. But I am keeping one of the pups and now my vet has me all nervous to take my dog out of the yard. It just seems like waiting for that final shot puts me at almost 4 months of age before we can even go into the water and I feel like that is crazy. Am I crazy?

What do you breeders do with your pups? When do you feel its safe to go to the creek, pond, or lake with your pup?
    "Where nameless men by nameless rivers wander, and in strange valleys die strange deaths alone. I'll be found."
    (Random FB quote I liked)
    www.facebook.com/teamdeadfowl

Cory,

In part it depends what product you've used for vaccines and what your schedule is. There are ways to insure yourself that your pup is well protected by 12 wks but you have to use certain proven products imo. Even so, I don't wait often wait that long if I have a hunt test or such, but I use my head basing it on the location... Most hunt test sites are likely pretty darned safe if on private grounds esp like Peppers in Carnation. I'm in Yakima, btw--- probably a far worse place for parvo than WW.

Socialization is a risk v benefit decision. My last pups are 10 wks old now and I've had this chat w/ everyone, sometimes twice! I had a vet surprise me by telling one it's okay to take them for walks around their neighborhood here in Yakima. I said, no, why risk it? What is really the benefit of dragging the puppy around the neighborhood (who probably doesn't like a leash yet anyhow) to get possibly scared by big / mean dogs on chains or vehicles speeding by? I'd rather they not take huge chances w/ something like that until after their 3rd combo vaccine at ~13-14 wks and the pup is out of that funky fear stage. I steer clear of any parks or pet stores that allow the general public in and/or does rescue adoptions until even later. Lowes, Home Depot, other hardware stores and co-ops are probably VERY safe to carry puppy in, then set them down, though be sure to ask first if it's allowed. I also encourage my pup owners to attend Puppy Kindergarten classes (I doubt WW has them either, but the folks in the cities usually do).

That said, about 18 yrs ago, I had 2 pups from the same litter contract parvo. I was using a good vaccine at the time (my vet gave first ones at 6 wks and we were on a 6, 9, 12, 16 wk program at the time). I can't remember how old the one pup was who contracted it from his own yard (a rental), but the other was 13 wks who had been taken up in the Naches area camping/fishing. Both lived, but it was nip and tuck for a few days. Not worth it!

I now use Neopar at 5 wks to help override the maternal antibodies and get the vaccine right to work. Then I do a Nobivac (was Proguard 5) at 7, 10-11, and 13-15 wks (3-4 wks between combos). Progard and Nobivac were both shown in challenge studies to give full protection by 12 wks. Not all vaccines are considered equal.

Also consider you probably have lepto concerns down there. That is in water... raccoons is the major carrier. I do Vanguard L-4 Lepto at ~17 and 20 wks as a stand alone as it's safer (less chance of a reaction). If you need a couple doses, I do have some extras here, btw. I have a training friend who gets down there to WW fairly often and maybe she'd be willing.... Contact me privately if you are interested. Anne

I wouldnt take a pup to a public water area til their vaccines were completed either. But, a private pond /creek, etc where you know theres not been any stray dogs- I would risk that- and have. I live on a creek- my pups (not baby pups in a litter though) have all been swimming at 8-10 weeks if the weather is right. I am leery to expose my litters to it , their immune system isnt top at that age, and even if its not parvo- they could get something nasty in their system at that age .
    I cant control the coyotes/foxes,etc that roam the creek or property, so I realize its still a risk but not as probable as taking them to where other peoples dogs frequent.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Windy- what type of vaccines is it that you use?
    "Where nameless men by nameless rivers wander, and in strange valleys die strange deaths alone. I'll be found."
    (Random FB quote I liked)
    www.facebook.com/teamdeadfowl

What is the connection to water and parvo?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    What is the connection to water and parvo?
    I was thinking the same thing. I thought it was transmitted by coming into contact with feces or soil that is contaminated.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Lepto can be in ponds and creeks from wildlife that carry it--deer, foxes, etc.

Parvo can be transmitted by sharing water bowls because of saliva from an infected animal, but I have never heard of Parvo being a concern in ponds or streams...just in areas heavily used by dogs (dog parks, yards, etc.).

Meredith
    Last edited by mwk56; 06-26-2013 at 12:22 PM.

I thought rats are the biggest carriers and spreaders of Lepto? Never heard of Parvo being a waterborn disease from streams/lakes?

I dont think it is either but I think a lot of ponds/lakes,etc are open to public, therefore, public dogs. Sheesh- guys do I have to spell everything out for ya?!
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Lepto is carried by all kinds of critters including deer, cattle, raccoons, foxes, rabbits, etc. Likes stagnant, warm water, but the spirocetes can also live in running water.

Meredith