The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Paracord leads and lanyards

Default Paracord leads and lanyards

I would like to make my own paracord slip lead and whistle lanyard and am looking for some help. The first thing I am having a hard time finding is the ring that I need for the slip lead, haven't had any luck at the local hardware store. Second I am looking for recommended tutorials for making these two things. I am looking to make a lanyard for two whistles, upland hunting.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

A. C. Moore Craft store has some kits with instructions on how to braid. As for rings try Home Depot or Lowes.
    HRCH Mt. Holly "SKyler" Blue SH 500 HRC points club

HRCH Mt. Holly Thunder and Lightning "Storm" MH 500 pt. club

I've been thinking about doing the same thing and there are TONS of videos on YouTube. You will find almost every style on there.

cdwplus.com has lots of different hardware specifically for dog collars, leads, etc. and they take small orders. They also have guides to braiding.

Check with your neighbor. He knows a guys that makes them.
    John

UH HR Candlewood's Triple Deke Rosen - Puck
    Triple Deke's You'll Shoot Ur Eye Out - Ralphie

Mcmaster Carr sell all kind of rings and snaps also Ace westlake hardware has alot of stuff.

if you have a hardware store like menards or fleet farm they have all the hardware you will need and just watch youtube and you can catch on. while deployed to fill time in places that didn't have an mwr we braided a lot of parachute cord for bracelets that we gave to kids and friends so a simple trick to keeping it tight is attach the end you are braiding away from to something if possible. I still braid short leads to use for younger dogs make sure you use brass as the chrome ones will rust up on you after a few times in the water and being left out.
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve - Ace
    Foundation's Peanut Butter Cup - Reece

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Thanks for all the help!

I read that I should soak the cord in water and let dry before use, is this correct? It shrinks or changes shape?

My son actually makes these, and he's really good at it. I'll see if I can get a picture of a couple of his items and post later today.

As far the ring for the slip lead goes, my son's been using the rings off of the cheap stake out stakes. These stakes are sold at Home Depot for about 4 dollars, buy the the entire stake and cut the ring off(don't cut the ring).

My son also makes duck cal lanyards, puppy tabs(these are the hot item), whistle lanyards, survivals bracelets, and all items are made with true 550 military grade 550 para cord.

Good luck
    St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

I get all my leash/collar hardware supplies here http://cdwplus.com/index.html