The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1957 national amateur championship

Default 1957 national amateur championship

Contestants at this years Natioanl Amateur recived a video copy of the first ever Natinal Amateur....55th anniversary. What a treat!!!!!!

So many first impresions. Call backs very generious; many more blinds than we do today; on land blind the blind planter walked to a pre detrmined area then THREW the bird a good distance to were the dog was to make the retrieve; lines to the blind were in general very poor by todays standards; handler would get dog to the area of the blind then let them hunt; many schakled birds; handlers shooting shot guns; walk ups with a line of gunners; diving shakled ducks; age of handlers much like today; work much less precise than today; dogs looked blockier than I am used to seeing now; more goldens and female handlers; very different manner used to send dogs...thrusting the hand/arm/body forward on the send; handlers allowed to touch dogs ( I believe); much greater emphasis on steadiness on line with shot birds and gunners just feet away;gunners remained standing...often moving around while dog making the retrieve; cars driving on roads not very distant from the working dog; and much more.

To top it off I saw King Buck,Bing Grunwald,Major IV,Mrs Murnane,Guy Burnett and Roger Reopelle.

This is a must see for all interested in our collective roots.

Bill'
    Sarita McKnight
    MOONSTONE LABRADORS llc
    Bigfork MT 59911
    www.moonstonelabs.com
    AFC BAMS Liberty Belle MH
    FC-AFC-CNAFC-CFC-CAFC MOONSTONES Hug and Moochie
    FC-AFC MOONSTONES Sea Biscuit Run
    AFC MOONSTONES Ham-Maid Marian
    (406) 249-4140 or (406) 257-7311
    Avatar is AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH ~ 31 MAR 1995-7 OCT 2010
    Photo taken on her 15th birthday...

That would be so neat to see. Reminds of the article in the recent Retriever News about an early National where the gunners were BEHIND the Line and shooting birds that landed only 35 yds away or so. Sounded a lot like hunting.

Sarita, I am glad you like it! I found the film and worked with RETRIEVER NEWS and John Stracka to have it made available. (The NARC still legally owned the copyright.)

Major VI will be on the cover of the next RN and Jennifer will be glad to hear the DVDs will be for sale for $15. Profits go to RN (jointly owned by NARC and NRC).

I also found films for the 1956 National Open and the 1963 National Open. Maybe the NRC will want to do the same thing for their contestants in November? I would like to see it, but I haven't heard. I guess they will need to see what kind of reaction they get from the contestants at the NatAm.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Good work Kevin. I have the DVD & it is super. Does show how much more advanced the training is today in many respects but regressed in a few (I don't think many of our dogs would sit still for a 10 yd shackled duck, shot by the handler with popper & plopped in the water right in from of the line) after a double or triple was shot in the field (albeit the distances were short). It did bring back memories of cutting strips of old sheets for shackling ducks at the Memphis trials years ago & then throwing shackled ducks in the water series at the Penal Farm where Memphis used to hold all their trials. That was my start in trials in the 60s and it was virtually the same handling techniques as shown in the video. The one exception was D.L Walters. I used to marvel at how his dogs handled versus most handlers & dogs in the field of entries. DL would have been quite at home today handling on blinds.
    David Didier, GA

Apples to oranges. Times have changed

/PaulPaul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Yes, times have changed. I believe though that knowing were we were gives us a much better understanding of how much the game has evol ed and may lend insight to were we may yet go. I was stunned at what I saw even after remembering these were the days of tennis shoe training. I wonder if they could even dream of what we and the dogs can do today at the most basic level of the sport. Also wonder were we might yet go...I think we have reached the outer limits of distance..perhaps add more memory?

BILL
    Sarita McKnight
    MOONSTONE LABRADORS llc
    Bigfork MT 59911
    www.moonstonelabs.com

Hi Bill, I would think that the more memory you add, the more distance you would have to decrease. Unless you were running very early or late season trials in cool weather.

But, along those lines... Back in the late 80's... Several of us were helping a friend get his dog prepared for the very first NAHRA invitational. The dog was a FT dog as well as running HT in Alaska. He wanted to practice a simulated flushing test... As a gag, several of us decided to throw our birds and shoot simultaneously. Tanner marked 7 birds cleanly and picked them all up in medium to heavy cover without a handle. The marks were not over 50-60 yards on the long ones... But what impressed me was that he remembered each of them.

The dog eventually became an AFC and was out of NAFC CNFC FC Hiwood Pacer.
    Bill Davis

I cam see the day when they have five birds in a set up. Suspect what keeps that from happening is manpower . I just can't see distances getting greater (literally and figuratively). I ran a quad several years ago that included a 600 yard memory bird that was retired.

The other part of my first post was could the ft folks even imagine what we do today????
    Bill
    Sarita McKnight
    MOONSTONE LABRADORS llc
    Bigfork MT 59911
    www.moonstonelabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by moonstonelabs View Post
    I cam see the day when they have five birds in a set up. Suspect what keeps that from happening is manpower . I just can't see distances getting greater (literally and figuratively). I ran a quad several years ago that included a 600 yard memory bird that was retired.

The other part of my first post was could the ft folks even imagine what we do today????
    Bill
    I don't know how they could... The dogs are so much more precise and under control.

But, from some of the things I've read, I'm not sure all of the old timers from that time would approve of our way of doing it either. Seems they liked a more "independent" dog than we do.
    Bill Davis

When will the video go on sale and where can it be purchased?
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey