The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aggression during FF

Default Aggression during FF

How does one deal with aggression during ff? My buddy has a one that turns into a land shark!! You put him up the table and as soon as touch his ear to his collar, the theme music to jaws starts playing. Apply a little pressure and watch out!!

You can lead him around by his collar and he is fine, you can even rub his ears while holding his collar and he is ok.

Chessie?????

Where in WI?
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Nope, not a chessie!! A yellow lab. East of Waupun Sharon.

Seek experienced help fast....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

More common then people want to admit. Lots of pros wash those dogs immediately.
    I have the scars to prove what it takes to win against those dogs, but those fight instead of flight dogs way of refusal is no different then the dog with flight tendencies. Use the table that's what its for.
    4xGMPR HRCH RoosterSmasher MH QAA
    4xGMPR HRCH Diesel Smokin4U
    4xGMPR HRCH Cams Prince Charming Duke
    1.5xGMPR HRCH Tiger of Cattail Corky
    GMPR HRCH Liberators Outlaw Rondo SH
    and a few others.....

If they want help, let me know. I'd be glad to.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Use the lip curl method to force fetch the dog. With the dog on a table and using a regular dog collar clipped to a snap swivel to prevent excessive movement have a dummy in one hand, say fetch, and using your other hand placed just behind its nose on top of it, apply pressure with your thumb on one side and your fingers on the other pry its mouth open by squeezing your fingers together just behind the top canine teeth. This will force the dogs mouth to open. When it does insert the dummy into its mouth and repeat the word hold while holding the dog with your hand just under its bottom jaw. Now put one hand on the dummy, say drop and remove the dummy. If the dog will not release the dummy, roll the dummy and push it towards the rear of its mouth, repeating the word drop. Usually after several sessions of this the dog will open its mouth willfully before you have to apply the lip curl pressure. Some others will take more time. Before moving on to another form of pressure make sure hold drop is going good after you get it to grab the dummy. I like the dog to back its head away when I say drop and give up the dummy. Personally I do not like to ear pinch. I go to the electric collar using low levels to teach the dog to open its mouth when I say fetch. Its kinda tricky to hold a dummy and electric collar in one hand and open its mouth using the lip curl method. But I have forced many dogs this way without ear pinching. I feel its much less traumatic on the dog and goes smoother. You can then advance to the next level and get off the table. I hope this is explained well enough for everyone to understand as I know this is very complicated.

How old is the dog?
    David Didier, GA

I've had my share of aggressive dogs during FF (more so goldens) and their no fun. I use a table with an overhead tethering system. When I get a dog that is aggressive on the ear pinch I move to the toe hitch, it works great and your hands are away from the dogs face. The pressure situation is the same other than the discomfort is on the toes. After the dog figures out how to comply and is understanding, I transition back to the ear pinch usually with no problems. You can YouTube the "toe hitch method" Good Luck