The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water work & feeding schedule

Default Water work & feeding schedule

Over this past weekend I was finally able to secure permission to access four different ponds for training my 11 month BLM. All are clean and unused by livestock. Two of them are fairly large (a couple acres) and offer a number of different training scenarios. I'm pretty excited about these ponds, thank you google earth.

My question for you folks is this - I feed him 1 1/4 cups of kibble twice per day. I fed him about 1 1/2 hours prior to this morning's swim call. I plan to do all his waterwork in the early morning hours from here out for the rest of summer, but should I withold that morning feeding until after training in the future. He doesn't appear to be a water gulper but I also dont want to add more to his stomach through feeding and give the potential to a bloated dog.

Any advise on this from the RTF?

Not to hijack the thread but I am curious about feeding and training as well. How long should I wait after feeding to train?

I try to feed no less than 2 hours prior to training and I wait until he is breathing normal again after training to feed, which usually ends up being anywhere from 1-2 hours depending on outside temp.

Summer & attempting to train in the south to avoid hot temps is a problem for morning feeding. Now with training beginning for me around 7AM, I don't feed in the morning at all. Other times I want at least 2 hrs from feeding to training.
    David Didier, GA

i dont know what food your feeding but.......
    2 1/2 cups per day total of anything is far too little for an 11 month old male. my 14 yr old female who can barely get around eats more.
    for me when feeding twice a day i would give 1/3 of daily ration in AM and 2/3 in PM rather than 1/2 and 1/2.
    11 month old should eat 2x/day so feed first thing before you do anything else may help.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Think about transitioning to a once a day feeding, in the evening. Avoids all training and hunting schedules unless you run coons.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

This has me thinking about moving my daily feeding to the evening. Do you guys air again after feeding or go straight from feeding to in for the night?
    -Barton Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Bartona500 View Post
    This has me thinking about moving my daily feeding to the evening. Do you guys air again after feeding or go straight from feeding to in for the night?
    you need to air at least once after feeding. If you feed late, like after training and sunset, you can wait a while after feeding to air so you can get away with maybe airing once.Personally, i give them one last chance to air at bedtime no matter what. just takes a moment.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    you need to air at least once after feeding. If you feed late, like after training and sunset, you can wait a while after feeding to air so you can get away with maybe airing once.Personally, i give them one last chance to air at bedtime no matter what. just takes a moment.
    Gotcha. I've always fed in AM bc that's what my mentor did. But it'd be nice to clean/train AM and move feeding to PM. Going to start the transition tonight.
    -Barton Ramsey

Some of the nutrition research is showing that its beneficial for hunting dogs to actually fast for 24hrs before they work; this isn't really practical day to day, but lots of people transition to once daily feeding. Less stuff in the gut floating around while they are running/swimming/etc, yet capitalizes on that hour post work out where they can really utilize nutrients to rebuild muscle tissue, etc. I think some of its based on volume too, as far as how much your dog is eating, as to whether once daily feeding is practical. Despite knowing this, I personally feel bad about only feeding the dog once a day
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH