The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water work & feeding schedule

Another thing to think about with the once daily feeding is that the dogs do not get as cold when hunting. This is contrary to what a lot of people have been told, however, if you think about it, blood is shunted during digestion so the dog is actually more prone to the cold and hypothermia if fed prior to a morning hunt.

I don't air after feeding in the evening. I air, clean kennels, do evening drills, and feed then go in. Rarely do I have a problem come morning. Once they get on the schedule, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    i dont know what food your feeding but.......
    2 1/2 cups per day total of anything is far too little for an 11 month old male. my 14 yr old female who can barely get around eats more.
    for me when feeding twice a day i would give 1/3 of daily ration in AM and 2/3 in PM rather than 1/2 and 1/2.
    11 month old should eat 2x/day so feed first thing before you do anything else may help.
    He is being fed Merrick grain free buffalo. Its very high calorie and protein content. You dont have to feed much of it to maintain a healthy weight and high energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    i dont know what food your feeding but.......
    2 1/2 cups per day total of anything is far too little for an 11 month old male. my 14 yr old female who can barely get around eats more.
    for me when feeding twice a day i would give 1/3 of daily ration in AM and 2/3 in PM rather than 1/2 and 1/2.
    11 month old should eat 2x/day so feed first thing before you do anything else may help.
    Sounds like you haven't owned any dogs that are easy keepers. The only one of mine that eats that much is my tall, rangy male. The females get a scant cup 2x a day (total of less than 2 cups daily) and a couple of them got so fat gorging on cicadas I had to cut even that back. Panda is the fattest bronka of them all and she gets trained at least 5x a week.

If I am training or running a test early, I just give a handful of kibble for the morning meal, and feed the bulk of the meal at the evening feeding. I've tried skipping the morning feeding; a couple of my dogs yak up foam/bile if they skip their morning meal. And mine all do their business within 10 minutes after eating so it's just easier to keep their feeding/airing routine on the same schedule even when the weather dictates a change in the training time.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Once a day, evenings after all workouts are over and dog is cooled off. 80 Lb 3 year old. 3 to 4 cups max in the summer depending on activity level.